Need MOAR power captain

socoj2

So when i built my house i put in a 200 amp panel. (shoulda done a 300.)

Im just about out of room. And i need to finish my basement. So ill need another set of 220v breakers in addition to the light and electrical sockets for 1200 square foot basement.

In addition i would like to run 3x 220 runs to my shop in the basement.

I have 220v 50amp for the garage, 220v 30 for my compressor and 3x for the AC unit.

Im sure if i went down there and totaled it im over subscribing my 200 amp panel but it passed inspection.

What are my options? upgrading panel?(seems most expensive option) sub panel?  Additional service panel?

Edited by socoj2
upgraded -> built

For a typical residential setup (based on your basement size), 200a main panel should be AOK...

If you are out of lugs, I’d run a sub-panel for the basement/shop. The shop tends to be a dynamic environment, so it’s handy to have the ability to de-energize the shop panel to run/alter branches... If you have small children, being able to easily de-energize the stationary power tools is a nice safety feature. A further feature is having several 20a 110 branches around the bench and assembly table for DC, big routers, etc... A 125a sub would (read as should) give you all the lugs you need.

BTW: You may want to edit the thread's title...

Edited by hhh

Yeah, I think you might be overestimating your real power needs. I have a 100amp main panel(don't even get me started...) and a 50a subpanel. As trip mentioned, it is convenient to have everything on the sub panel for when you change things every other week. I run a 3hp cyclone(motor draws like a 5hp, grizzly oversized the impeller for the motor, me thinks) and I routinely run it with a 5hp sander. I think I can even run the cyclone, 3hp unisaw, and 3hp jointer all at the same time. If I don't like the look of an edge prior to ripping, I will run over to the jointer with the saw running and clean up the edge. My situation sucks, but a 100a+ sub panel is more than satisfactory, I would think. I cant think of a situation besides the jointer and table saw/bandsaw that I would ever run the DC and 2 tools simultaneously.

A subpanel makes the whole business of wiring a shop easier.  I've never heard of a 300 amp service.  Here you go to 400 from 200, and that is for huge houses with two or three heating systems, or a bunch of add-ons like ours.  A 400 amp service really is a 400 amp meter base that feeds two 200 amp panels. I've added onto our house several times, and added new buildings several times.  Our main panel in the house feeds a subpanel in the original shop- which feeds subpanels in the barn, and tractor shed/mechanic/metalworking building.

I did upgrade the original 200 amp service to 400 amp when we built the last addition (which was larger than the original house).  That upgrade put a new 200 amp panel in the addition.

It wasn't really hard to upgrade the main panel, but did take several hours.  The hard part is going to the BIG service entrance wire between the new meter base and new 200 amp panel.  For a hobby shop, you shouldn't need to upgrade the service size.

Edited by Tom King

Hobbies run the gamut based on socioeconomic factors. While you may not need the amperage, sometimes you need the slots. A standalone "needs" more than a house room if it has its own heat. Some lifestyles keep a chest freezer in that shop for seasonal harvesting. Big tools sometimes require dedicated panel space. New kitchen appliances etc also seem to increasingly ask for this. We seem to see the advance of usage rather than the reverse. I make due nicely with a two hundred amp service that has a seventy amp sub. Empty panel space never bothered me like cramped panels. With cash in hand and a new shop plan, I would over do before cutting it close. Tom hits the hardest though. Go inspect a four hundred amp service entrance. They are large. I saw almost every new lake house bring in four hundred. It seems to be a trend with any new house that has an outbuilding here.