Hello from South Dakota

VoldDad

I call myself VoldDad because I'm 82 and have 5 children and 8 grandchildren plus one great grand son.  On 5 November my wife and I will celebrate 60 years of marriage.  That is the date that the actors went back to in the first Back To The Future movie.  5 November 1955.  I'm a retired Naval Aviator and so old that I've never flown jets except as auxiliaries on the SP2H patrol plane.  I hate to report that I have even flown helicopters.  Never fly helicopters.  They are NOT airplanes and only get airborne because they are so ugly that the earth repels them.  I'm pretty much a woodworking novice and spend as much time watching You Tube to learn things as I do in the shop.  I live on a small farm in SoDak but rent out my land and pasture.  I have lots of time but my health is a little iffy and I can no longer put in more than 10 or 11 hours a day.  I subscribe to about three wood working magazines and normally pick projects from them and at least make a prototype of some of the smaller projects out of big box store quality lumber.  I'm big into reclaiming lumber and one source I really watch for are the longer billets used to block or support freight on large trucks.  I've gotten some really nice oak that way.  Wood acquisition is a problem where I live but I do have a friend in the cabinet business who has helped me a lot with walnut and cherry wood.  (At his price I might add.)  I like to hunt, fish and shoot as well.  We now winter in eastern Tennessee and will soon be moving away from the cold and snow.  We experts are predicting that we will have a very mild winter but I really doubt that will happen because I've noticed the indians are laying in a potload of firewood this year.      

Welcome to the forum sir. If I manage to live to 82, I'll be tickled and to just stay awake 10-11 hours a day will be a major chore! We pheasant hunt in Kimball SD each year and I can see why you winter elsewhere because it's too darn cold just those 4 days!