Burma teak and Poly

Bart

I've made an outdoor table out of Burmese teak which has beautiful grain and color, grays and brown with orangy/pink streaks. After final sanding, I applied satin wipe on poly, my go-to finish for walnut. However, it's given the table a yellowish look which is not great.

Anybody have any better ideas? I could try a teak oil, but have read some negative feedback on that too, mold etc.

I've tried to attach pictures, hope you can see it. First one is rough sanded, before final 240 grit, second one is after 1 coat of wipe on poly.

regards, Bart

Teak sanded.jpg

Teak and Poly.jpg

Hey Bart, I'm going to presume a couple things: you prefer the lighter look before you applied the finish?  Also the finish you used was oil based?

If so, you could try using a water based finish.  It won't change the color of the wood, but it also won't make any of the features shine.  Personally I kind of like the way it looks now ;).  If you do decide to strip it off and start over, make sure to wipe the surface of the teak with acetone a few minutes before applying the finish so you get good adhesion..

Thanks for the feedback, and in this particular case I do like the lighter look. I'm pretty new at this, and should have tested a bunch of finishes on scraps of course. I've stripped the table and would love to leave it like this but we use it intensively so my cold beer leaves circles. 

I'll find a water based one and try that. I see Adam Kyle had a similar question on ash.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL - use some coasters ;)

Exterior 450 is great, has UV inhibitors, you don't need any special equipment to apply (I've even used the wipe on technique) and has a slight amber hue but you will have to wipe the natural oils off first with whatever finish you use. Sanding alone will not do that. Acetone as Andy says will remove that but don't leave it too long before you apply the finish.

But as with any external project be prepared to go through the ritual of re-finishing periodically.