Sawzall for outdoor work

Beechwood Chip

I have a friend whose house is on a few acres.  He needs a tool for cutting down small trees (3" diameter trunk at base) and trimming small branches.  He's used a small chain saw, but it hasn't been maintained and needs a tune up.  He's on disability, and can hit a few months where minor chores don't get done.

So, he's considering a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) as a replacement that wouldn't need regular maintenance.  It would be more versatile and can be used indoors.  If he ever needs to handle larger trees / branches he can get the chainsaw tuned up.

I've got a corded DeWalt that I like, but I'm wonder if running it through 200' of extension cord is a good idea.  I guess he'd be OK with a large gauge cord. On the other hand, a cordless would be very convenient for short tasks, but I don't know how much battery life he could expect.  

Any advice on brands or corded/cordless?

Thanks,

--- Chip

Chip, more than the saw is the blade. I cannot seem to kill the HF purchased corded variety I have but I also have gotten much more savvy about selecting the correct blade for the job. There are some fantastic green wood blades on the market that just weren't around until the past few years. Having said this, live wood tends to absorb the reciprocation unless it is of sufficient mass. It can be maddening trying to hold a two inch branch still by pushing the saw's plate into it only to have most of the energy wasted. I don't say this to put you off but rather to say a sawzall as a limbing tool is best paired with a good hand pruning saw and lopping shears as a set of tools. The hand saw can often get the branches in between the loppers and recip. 

I purchase the DeWalt 18v. Combo drill for my employees and sometimes find the drill/sawzal combo to be almost as cheap as the drill by itself. I give them the drill and keep the saw. I now have 3 of the saws and haven't worn the first out over 3 years of use. Shaffer is right about the blades. DeWalt and PC both make a 81/2", 4/5 TPI blade that is made for brush and limb cutting.

Edited by K Cooper

Newer cordless will be fine. Get these blades. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-in-4-5-TPI-Pruning-Sawzall-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-48-00-1305/202256182  Work wonders on trees 

This blade is great!!! I just took 4 pretty big trees down in my yard and did everything except the large trunks with these blades.  I user three of them and the third still has some miles left on it.  I got mine at my local ACE hardware, they come in a couple of sizes and if I remember right they were about 7 or 8 dollars a copy.  I used my 18 volt DeWalt recip saw.