How should I finish purple heart

Ray

I've googled til i can't google anymore.  And I've found many different opinions on the best way to finish purple heart in order to maintain the purple color for the longest period of time.  I've come to the conclusion that the type of finish probably doesn't matter as much as the amount of sunlight exposure over time.  Regardless, I'd like to see what kind of response I get on here.  The project is a small hand mirror (12" x 6") and it will be entirely purple heart.  What should I finish it with?  Thanks in advance!

I would use lacquer. It's not going to help retain the color, but I think it's an appropriate finish for a hand mirror. Being a hand mirror, I would think it it remain out of sunlight for the most part. You should get a few years without it going brown, but eventually it will look just fine with the patina of age.

I kept running into "dewaxed shellac, then lacquer" on a lot of my searches. Still not sure what I'm going to do. Spray lacquer is quickly going to be an issue for me because the weather is getting colder, and I need to spray outdoors. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am not an expert on this at all but I will just tell you what I did. My wife wanted new kitchen cabinets so I took her to the local specialty lumber store and showed her some purple heart. She liked it so I am in the process of building them.

Being I have never made cabinets before I did a lot of reading and you tube watching. This is what I have done and they have come out beautiful.

Once finished my milling I took them outside and soaked them down with the hose, this really brought out a rich color, then I put on a very liberal amount of tung oil with a sponge brush, as soon as it dried I put on another coat, I basically did that until the oil stopped going in the wood rapidly. Once at that stage I sanded to 200. Then I did all my edging an sizing. This made it easier to work with, didnt seem to dull bits as quick. Once that was all done I sanded to 220 again and put the last coat on.

They have turned out beautifully,  way better than I imagined. I was going to put a shelac for protection but realized that this is not necessary, and if they color after a while it will be very easy to just sand down and reapply. 

Ps I had to go wiith a glass insert on the panels as I couldnt get anything to match (thought raised panel would be too heavy).

• Like 1

I am not an expert on this at all but I will just tell you what I did. My wife wanted new kitchen cabinets so I took her to the local specialty lumber store and showed her some purple heart. She liked it so I am in the process of building them.

Being I have never made cabinets before I did a lot of reading and you tube watching. This is what I have done and they have come out beautiful.

Once finished my milling I took them outside and soaked them down with the hose, this really brought out a rich color, then I put on a very liberal amount of tung oil with a sponge brush, as soon as it dried I put on another coat, I basically did that until the oil stopped going in the wood rapidly. Once at that stage I sanded to 200. Then I did all my edging an sizing. This made it easier to work with, didnt seem to dull bits as quick. Once that was all done I sanded to 220 again and put the last coat on.

They have turned out beautifully,  way better than I imagined. I was going to put a shelac for protection but realized that this is not necessary, and if they color after a while it will be very easy to just sand down and reapply. 

Ps I had to go wiith a glass insert on the panels as I couldnt get anything to match (thought raised panel would be too heavy).

Purple Heart cabinets? I've gotta see a pic, please!!!!!

• Like 1

Once finished my milling I took them outside and soaked them down with the hose, this really brought out a rich color, then I put on a very liberal amount of tung oil with a sponge brush, as soon as it dried I put on another coat, I basically did that until the oil stopped going in the wood rapidly.

I'm not sure I understand - did you apply the tung oil while they were still wet from the soaking?

Sorry I forgot a step, I left them outside in the sun to dry for a day. Turned them over every now and again.

Other glass hasnt arrived yet and we are still in the figuring out the hinge coloring. 

Drawer fronts will be solid, lumber yard has 1x12 so I wont have to glue up.

20151111_101757.jpg

20151111_102821.jpg

If I could ask an opinion:

Being I have glass the shelf fronts will show. I was thinking about facing them with purpleheart. Would that look ok or funny with the white background?

• Like 1

Still learning, I have to ask, but where did you hear that spraying the hose before finishing is a valid technique.  I have never heard it.  Usually for an oil finish you don't need to raise the grain.  Purple Heart tends to turn a brownish color over time, how will you go about bringing the color your wife likes back?

After I had milled them there was some browning. I guess I should clarify, sprayed them until they were damp, not soaked. After a day in the sun drying they did change color from a brownish to the color you see throughout. 

As the original poster I did a lot of reading and came across a post where it was said to do that. Not knowing any better I tried it and seemed to work out.

I am not overly concerned about discoloration right now, kitchen is on north side of house and doesnt get any direct sunlight, if they turn brown over time might just be a change without having to do anything.....hehe,  get bored of original color.

I wouldn't recommend a gloss finish unless you are going to fill the grain, or you could end up with something that looks like this.
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/purpleheart/purpleheart turn 1b s50 plh.htm

You are seeing people recommending  shellac and then Lacquer, as that's the tried and true method to fill the grain and then get a high gloss finish.

My personal recommendation would be a good penetrating finish to protect the wood, and advise the owner/user to not let it out in the sun. 

Sorry I forgot a step, I left them outside in the sun to dry for a day. Turned them over every now and again.

Other glass hasnt arrived yet and we are still in the figuring out the hinge coloring. 

Drawer fronts will be solid, lumber yard has 1x12 so I wont have to glue up.

20151111_101757.jpg

20151111_102821.jpg

If I could ask an opinion:

Being I have glass the shelf fronts will show. I was thinking about facing them with purpleheart. Would that look ok or funny with the white background?

I would go with glass shelves for the cabinets that have glass doors. Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend a gloss finish unless you are going to fill the grain.

You are seeing people recommending  shellac and then Lacquer, as that's the tried and true method to fill the grain and then get a high gloss finish.

My personal recommendation would be a good penetrating finish to protect the wood, and advise the owner/user to not let it out in the sun. 

Sorry about that.

Back on track.

Could someone explain this a bit.

Does this keep the color of the wood once you are done sanding or does it change (other than aging)? I am assuming you mean sprayed.