The Padauk Problem

Eric.

I brought a load of lumber home yesterday so I had to do some rack-orgo this morning.  I figured I'd share this with everyone while I had these boards out.

Since I'm such a swell guy, I always give customers up at the yard my honest opinions about wood species when they ask me.  And it seems that at least once a day I warn someone about the tragedy that is padauk...and very few seem to believe me.

Here's proof.  A gray, muddy mess.

Granted, these boards have no finish on them, but they've also been exposed to ZERO direct sunlight.  They've been up on my racks for a year, maybe two.

DSC_0160.jpg

Carrie-Fisher.jpg

carrie-fisher-jabba-the-hutt.png

It's possible, though not likely, that you have a piece of Andaman padauk.  I've never had my hands on any, but by every account (including high praise by Krenov...and a scathing indictment of African padauk), it's a far superior species in every way, including color retention.  I was under the impression that Andaman padauk is somewhere between exceedingly difficult and impossible to source.  Maybe you got lucky.

There's also Burma padauk, but that's more of a yellowish/golden color rather than the rich orange.

Otherwise, all the other African padauk I've ever seen has the same color and color change as the pieces in my pics.

I haven't seen such a drastic change in color as you have shown Eric. In my experience, paduak will change color but never as muddy and "Jabba the Hutt" looking as you're showing. I don't know what the difference is.

I'll take a look at some stock I have kicking around in my shop later. I also have some off cuts from reindeer I made a few years ago.

I don't know then.  Maybe Missouri sun is UV-ier and Missouri oxygen is oxygen-ier.  Because as you can see from my pictures, my padauk has turned gray.

I have a magazine rack in my bathroom made of padauk and birdseye.  And while it hasn't turned gray, it has transitioned to a deep reddish brown from the bright orange over about four years.  It's actually quite beautiful and frankly I like the color more now...not so clownish.  So clearly finish has effect on the color change but I have no idea why y'alls raw padauk is not turning to poop like mine has.

I have a magazine rack in my bathroom made of padauk and birdseye.  And while it hasn't turned gray, it has transitioned to a deep reddish brown from the bright orange over about four years.  It's actually quite beautiful and frankly I like the color more now...not so clownish. 

POiaL.

(Pics or it's a lie)  :)

I typically shoot Padauk with some sort of solvent sealer, then some sort of catalyzed solvent topcoat w/UV inhibitor... The color turns over time, but I’ve got projects going 5-10 years where the Padauk has remained in the deep orange/red/brown stage... Will it turn to dull brown/gray? Yea... How long will it take? Who knows...

I’m with Eric: the bright orange is an attention getter, but not a long-term aesthetic that I’m looking to embrace... I prefer the deep red/brown...

At one point, I was making shop fixtures out of QS Padauk and shot them with whatever happened to be in the guns: shellac + lacquer, vinyl + cat lacquer, vinyl + conv varnish, whatever... The type of finish makes a difference with color retention – using a two-part coating retards the color change far better than straight shellac and/or lacquer... But any film finish helps...

As for why Eric's sticks turn so quickly? You know, there's a Super Fund Site locator app... Any of your neighbors glow in the dark?

To be helpful I thought I'd do a quick search and see if there are easy ways to detect UV light.

First search result just shows the world is a pretty cool place:

Activity 23 Teacher Guide: Detecting Ultraviolet Light Using Tonic Water

https://www.ucar.edu/learn/1_5_2_23t.htm

I think the gin is optional.  (especially for the 5th graders)

Of course, there are all kinds of doodads you can buy to get quantifiable measurements too...