Hello from California

sheperd80

Hey folks. Ive been a youtube subscriber for awhile now and thought it was time to join the forum. Not a guild member yet but maybe someday :-) Ive been a cutom-homes finish carpenter for 10 years and a garage woodworker for about 3. Ive built a variety of furniture, boxes, and some end-grain cutting boards. Most of my work is hobby/gifts, but i have sold a few pieces recently. I look forward to picking your brains with my tedious questions, and of course trying to help answer some of yours. And wow, look at all these roubo threads! Looks like my toilet reading is covered for awhile! Marc thanks for all you have contributed to my woodworking knowledge base! And thanks for reminding me that soul-patches are NOT cool anymore :-). Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. Really nice stuff.

I particularly like the planter. Nice sturdy design. Is that zucchini growing in there?

Thanks. Yep. I made it for the girlfriend as an herb garden but she decided to grow full size fruits instead :-). That plant quickly outgrew the box and we had zucchini growing on the ground next to it. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking...it makes a perfect herb garden. I may have to borrow the concept. That would make an ideal gift for someone who BBQs often or has a deck right outside the kitchen door.

What lumber species did you use?

Edited by davewyo

That's what I was thinking...it makes a perfect herb garden. I may have to borrow the concept. That would make an ideal gift for someone who BBQs often or has a deck right outside the kitchen door.

What lumber species did you use?

Its a redwood frame and western red cedar paneling. A few years back i demo'd a painted tongue and groove ceiling only to find that it was this beautiful cedar! So i salvaged a pile, milled it, and worked it into a couple projects. Thanks for the welcome everyone, im in Fresno. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hello to my fellow Southern California Woodworkers. New here but have been working wood for many years. I am also a Teaching Assistant at Palomar College in the CFT program and President of the Woodworkers of Palomar College club.  We are again sponsoring the Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event February 3-4. It will be held in our T Building in room 125, Friday 9am to 5 and Saturday, 9am to 4.

Come see our facility and interact with your fellow woodworkers. The club will be hosting a few fun and maybe even educational sessions. See who can slice the thinnest piece with a hand saw or who can take the longest curl with a hand plane.