Saw tip whip

Brendon_t

I'm not sure if this is a known issue as I have actually never heard of it or maybe I just don't know what it's called. Being at my shop is small I use a Distan d10 for breaking down rough lumber to oversized rough length. Recently I have noticed that on the backstroke the tip of my saw whips back and forth  furiously. Slowing down only partially helped as I still feel a lot of vibration in the blade. Does this have a name and is there something I'm doing that is causing it. I wouldn't consider it a problem more of a mild annoyance as again I am NOT cross cutting something to exact length

Poor stroke can lead to a fish tailing of the cut path. Handle left handle right through a slightly fish tailed cut leads to oscillation. Take a half step further back and keep your elbow in a single plane. It does not hurt to angle the saw when possible to keep more of the blade in the kerf. 

I have the same Diston and have the same issue at times. Keeping sharp, proper technique are huge helps, but IMHO the spine of the saw sometimes is too limber and allow the whip also!

You could try to add extra tension to the saw, but other than being aware it can be done and the general procedure (light ball pein along the top from each side) I'd be hesitant to learn on a saw I otherwise liked well enough since done wrongly it would curve the blade or cause other issues.

I pretty much guarantee my "technique" if you even want to call it that is not optimal. Hand sawing is not my jam. It's just a convenience thing. 

As far as the set, it is almost non existent, the kerf is extremely tight on the saw plate once the teeth have passed. I assumed most crosscut saws were set like that.

As far as the set, it is almost non existent, the kerf is extremely tight on the saw plate once the teeth have passed. I assumed most crosscut saws were set like that.

In general, for rough dimensioning you'll want more set.  For cutting joinery you want less set.

You can get a saw setting tool pretty cheap ($25 new).  It looks easy to do.  I haven't done it yet, but when I get to rehabbing the other ebay saws I bought I'll have to.

Here's the Lie-Nielsen video on setting the teeth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLzbTOPn5d8

And here's the Lee Valley page with saw sets (the advice I received was to get the fine one) http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32956