G&G Blanket Chest

chrisphr

So I wasn't planning on doing a journal for this project, and it is also kind of weird to post one now since I am in the home stretch but I have another question I'd like to get the forum's feedback on and rather than create a third thread on the same project in general woodworking I'll put it in a journal so I stop littering the forum.

While this project appears to be one of the simpler guild builds (and it may be), it was plenty challenging for my skill set.  Gained some good experience from this project.  It is riddled with imperfections and errors, but I think they've been hidden well enough that only me and other woodworkers will notice.  

Layout:

image.thumb.jpg.7271f9c6b7ab22160277bd25

Patching up a knot and a crack on the inside of one of the panels with some epoxy:

image.thumb.jpg.c580cb8750d438fd238737f4

Pattern routing complete, squaring off the corners:

image.thumb.jpg.4fb64d5503af6d445fecd6c3

Test fit case finger joints:

image.thumb.jpg.c5ac07a9127815c7a8fa8b2d

Making plug mortises.  Created a hairline crack in one of the panels, fixed it with epoxy and some great guidance from Carus and Trip.

image.thumb.jpg.f08fcc8d28105127921e5effimage.thumb.jpg.b1322cea04367e5bbc3d009dimage.thumb.jpg.ce17c7c494af0261538a3784

Cut the dado for the bottom panel, rounded over all the corners, fit it all together.  Had to use a hardware store file to do a lot of the rounding, need to add a rasp to my tool kit soon.  :-)

image.thumb.jpg.3ed1a64e188331418ea0f633image.thumb.jpg.68f19520c955d5c406de0fffGot the mitered  base together.  This would have been tricky without the domino...

image.thumb.jpg.ea8234bfeb75109bd4e9622c

Getting the round overs on the base, next is the glue up.

image.thumb.jpg.dec0f3d95995ba5600f6a463image.thumb.jpg.0376d1a366c12fd0ff8a604aimage.thumb.jpg.4adf282a691f449e9b8fe690

Thanks for the comments everyone!  

So the current challenge is the handles.  When I put the plug mortises in the blank, they were near perfect, nice crisp edges.  After shaping the piece using a stationary sander, it exposed imperfections in the mortise below the surface (I'm assuming the sanding isn't the cause).  You can see what I mean in the picture.  

Is this a sign the mortise punch is dull?  Bad technique?  What do you think is the best way to fix?  I was considering chiseling it straight again, then gluing a small piece of wood in there, then pairing that back till I get to my 3/8 hole.  Or should I try to fill with a dust glue mix after the plug is installed?

image.jpg

Thanks Terry, I'm using Cherry for this project.  

Remaking the part makes sense, but part of the reason I was leaning to a repair is I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time.  I'm afraid if I remake the part, I'll get the same result.

Do you think the scoring will work?  The challenge is since the shaping happens after the mortise punching, the shaping exposes the damaged fibers hidden beneath the surface.

Another idea I had was to crack out the hollow chisel mortiser chuck it with 3/8 bit and put the mortise in after the shaping.  Or I could try to use the punch after shaping, although it might be tough to locate and hold straight.

What is this "mortise punch" thing you keep referring to? I first assumed you meant a hollow chisel, but you mention that later. To me, the hole seems to have tear-out, as from a dull tool. But I'm not sure I know the tool tou used.

I think it's these. Not 100% though. 

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=65380&cat=1,43456

• Like 1

Chris, It's the same punch you used in the rest of the build, right? And they appear to be crisp and clean. I would try to elongate it, similar to the ones in the bread board ends on the top. If that doesn't work, I'd remake it, but use the pinch again on a piece of scrap to make sure it's not dull. You can buy the sharpening cone from Lee Valley if it is. Good luck, chest looks great so far!

• Like 1

Looking good. Can't you just test out the mortise punch on a piece of scrap to see if you always get this problem? Maybe try a couple variations of technique or different method of inserting the plugs, or different amounts of sanding....sometimes trial and error is the best way to learn what you're doing wrong, just do it on some scrap before you ruin another piece for your build.

• Like 1

Chris, I just watched the video and I see no reason why you couldn't create the mortises after the shaping.  As long as you do it before the roundovers, your square will still have a nice flat reference surface that should work just fine.  That's what I would do anyway.

• Like 1

What is this "mortise punch" thing you keep referring to? 

It is the one Mel points out.  It could very well be dull, since these are the last mortises in the project.  The tear out is below the surface, so wouldn't have been a problem had I not later removed material to add the curve.  Note to anyone considering this project: Make the handle blanks early in the project while your punch is still sharp.

I would try to elongate it, similar to the ones in the bread board ends on the top.

You can buy the sharpening cone from Lee Valley if it is. 

Maybe try a couple variations of technique or different method of inserting the plugs, or different amounts of sanding....sometimes trial and error is the best way to learn what you're doing wrong, just do it on some scrap before you ruin another piece for your build.

These are great ideas, really appreciate it.  I think this will be the plan of attack in this order:

Save the parts:

1. Try some layouts elongating the mortises.  If it looks good and is proportional, save the parts.

Remake the parts:

2.  Try the hollow chisel mortiser on a piece of scrap to see if that will give me a clean result.  If that doesn't work...

3. Burn some cash on a tool I may never need again (cone sharpener)

Thanks again for the ideas!

Chris, I just watched the video and I see no reason why you couldn't create the mortises after the shaping.  As long as you do it before the roundovers, your square will still have a nice flat reference surface that should work just fine.  That's what I would do anyway.

I just assumed it would be hard to keep straight after the curve was added, but this is another thing to try on a piece of scrap first.  I'll reorder my options above to make this number 2 above.  Better solution than trying to get the HCM set up.

• 2 weeks later...

The handles turned out nice. 210b4849a062da102d48202b27dff401.jpg Making plugs (dang this is tedious!) 1e3bcfdc98b5df40e05fd7f594e07dc6.jpg There was some minor inconsistency in the longer plug mortises, so some plugs had to be custom fit. 918252c985203ce77cc3adf67ab8c905.jpg First couple plugs installed nicely, hopefully I will get them all installed tomorrow! 0731260a9e9fc28a30d1b71825d78442.jpg Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking good. Almost at the finish line. What are you using for finish?

I'll take suggestions for the finish. I was planning on Lacquer over Danish oil because I've had some success with that combo, but totally willing to consider something new! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are more patient than I, for sure! This is shaping up quite nicely.

I've come to the conclusion that this is one of those projects that looks like it will go fast but is actually slower than some more complex projects. Those ebony plugs and splines are a real time eater... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll take suggestions for the finish. I was planning on Lacquer over Danish oil because I've had some success with that combo, but totally willing to consider something new! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think thats a great combo. Go with what has worked well in the past. I am using that same finish combo on the chest of drawers.

What lacquer are you thinking of using?