Choosing the outside finish

Fabbr

I'm super new to wood working and I plan on building an outside BBQ table. It will be covered when not used but I need to make sure is sealed against water and sun. 

I want to use pine because it's cheap but I want to stain it dark and then seal it. 

Many suggestions on the products I should use? I read about marine product Epifane but they don't offer stain just seal. 

Thank you :)

You're gonna spend more on the Epifanes than the lumber.  I'd suggest using better material to build with.  At the very least try to source some Douglas fir which has a little rot resistance, as opposed to pine which has none.  Cedar or cypress are other softwoods suitable for outdoor use.  White oak would be an economical hardwood species.

Stain and finish are two different things, and although you'll find some finishes that contain added color, ordinarily it's a two step process.  So choose whatever stain suits your taste, then apply finish over the stain.

Epifanes is a great outdoor finish, but I wouldn't waste my money on it on something made of pine.  That's a silk hat on a pig.

Great info. I read on a Spar product that I was looking at a Box Store and the instruction was saying to make sure the wood is free of any stain or finish before applying it. So I was thinking that Epifanes was there same ( to be applied directly to wood without any stain)

In addition to what Eric mentions, I think I would look more towards some type of an exterior stain or penofin oil.  Varnish isn't a tough finish, nor is it really meant for work surfaces (it scratches too easily and is a lot of work to maintain).  But does does work well when something just needs to look good and isn't handled much :-)

In addition to what Eric mentions, I think I would look more towards some type of an exterior stain or penofin oil.  Varnish isn't a tough finish, nor is it really meant for work surfaces (it scratches too easily and is a lot of work to maintain).  But does does work well when something just needs to look good and isn't handled much :-)

any product you can suggest me? Sorry I'm very new to woodworking and this will be my first outside project. :)

I'd think along the lines of deck finishes. Penofin is a brand name and they make s number of different oil finishes.  I'd probably look at their red label ultra premium line..

http://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/index

Another option that comes to mind would be Sikkens.  It works well, is easy to apply / touchup but is highly pigmented and can somewhat take on the appearance of paint if too many coats are applied.

http://www.perfectwoodstains.com/products/deck-stain

I think either one of these options would work well for your project :-)

I'd think along the lines of deck finishes. Penofin is a brand name and they make s number of different oil finishes.  I'd probably look at their red label ultra premium line..

http://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/index

Another option that comes to mind would be Sikkens.  It works well, is easy to apply / touchup but is highly pigmented and can somewhat take on the appearance of paint if too many coats are applied.

http://www.perfectwoodstains.com/products/deck-stain

I think either one of these options would work well for your project :-)

Nice, I'll take a look at it. What about the wood? Would you also suggest not using pine and using something like red cedar? 

I would vote for any of the species Eric mentioned over pine for an outdoor project. Pine has very little resistance to rot and UV damage. I would only use pine if it is fully coated with opaque paint. If your project is never left exposed to wet weather, you could get away with a home center spar varnish for at least a couple of years. To darken pine, I suggest iron acetate treatment over pigment stain, as pine tends to blotch under stain.