Cherry!

JosephThomas

Forgot to mention I also grabbed a wide, but short, slab of walnut, a small stick of indian rosewood, and small board of honduran mahogany.  He had posted a lot of the honduran mahogany on CL last month, but I wasn't able to capitalize, looked like nice stuff...If anyone can confirm/refute the species of the mahogany or rosewood pieces from these photos, I'm all ears.  I was fairly certain of the rosewood based purely on density, but I'm not an expert. I was only able to grab these little boards anyway, so it was just a couple extra bucks if I was wrong :)

The walnut slab, I forgot to measure it...it's probably about 8/4, 10-12" wide, 2' long. The defect goes about halfway thru, I'll probably use it on something that incorporates it:

9oUwniL.png

QTpWuT6.png

The Rosewood stick, I love this. I'll either try to make some veneer out of this, or cut it into thin strips to use in conjunction with some veneer.

va8SgLM.png

Wn1yNRH.png

IwXaCtu.png

The honduran mahogany:

bdcevhA.png

X7fJFSZ.png

• Like 1

Yeah it looks like Honduran to me.  The rosewood I can't say for sure because I just don't have enough experience with all the different species.  Could be East Indian or it could be something else.  I'd bet my life the guy you bought it from didn't know either...he's just telling you what he was told...from another guy who had no idea and was told by someone else who had no idea...and on and on.  Bottom line...who cares...if you like the board, build something with it and be happy.

The cherry looks like some beautiful stuff and some meh stuff.  If you got a good price it's a nice little score.

• Like 1

Yeah it looks like Honduran to me.  The rosewood I can't say for sure because I just don't have enough experience with all the different species.  Could be East Indian or it could be something else.  I'd bet my life the guy you bought it from didn't know either...he's just telling you what he was told...from another guy who had no idea and was told by someone else who had no idea...and on and on.  Bottom line...who cares...if you like the board, build something with it and be happy.

The cherry looks like some beautiful stuff and some meh stuff.  If you got a good price it's a nice little score.

Yeah I paid about $1.50/bdft for the full size pieces, and the shorts were free, which more than doubled the total bd footage by my rough math. I would guess it's about half meh half good stuff... But I'm pretty happy with meh stuff at that price. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice purchase. Hard to tell just from pictures but the mahogany looks just like the boards I have had stashed away for close to 30 years.Pretty sure it's not African. 

Cool. As Eric said, I'll go ahead and continue telling people what I was told, and just run with it :) Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

One of those days

bigload.thumb.jpg.266625057bd828731265ac

Very funny. I was actually surprised at how much I could fit in the accord, had no idea 10' boards would fit. It would have been 100% better/safer if they were only 8' lengths though. It didn't appear to be riding any lower our driving sluggishly at all either. Lucky break Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1