Eye want.

Mark J

I wear eye glasses and have been frustrated trying to find eye protection that fits comfortably over my glasses.  

I prefer eye glass style safety wear as opposed to goggles.  When they do fit over my prescription frames they are more comfortable and easier to get on and off.  Lately the models I am finding either don't fit or barely accommodate my prescription frames.  

Any of you folks have a suggested product?  

Yes.  I have seen "combat" style frames with wrap around or side protection designs and that idea is not off the table.  On the down side, prescription lenses for me are very expensive, and though scratch resistant aren't impervious.   I'm hoping for something to cover my existing glasses that would be replaceable.  

I got prescription safety glasses and I'm very happy.  Since I have presbyopia, I got bifocals that are focussed at about arms length, to see what's on a bench or what I'm holding in my hands.  Then I have "cheaters" below them focussed at about 6", for close up work like reading calipers and rulers.  The glasses have removable foam inserts that turn them into goggles.  I was using a circular saw with my face up near the blade to line up my cut, and I had no trouble with sawdust getting into my eyes.

Yes.  I have seen "combat" style frames with wrap around or side protection designs and that idea is not off the table.  On the down side, prescription lenses for me are very expensive, and though scratch resistant aren't impervious.   I'm hoping for something to cover my existing glasses that would be replaceable.  

I'm right there with you. I use goggles, and they fog up and just generally suck. I haven't made it to the eye doc in 5 years simply because I don't want to pay whatever I have to pay to get glasses (after insurance, probably $300.) So.. the idea of getting in there for a pair of safety glasses - hard to swallow. 

I've been using a pair of uvex safety glasses that fit over my prescription glasses. I've been pretty happy, especially since they were only about $15. The amazon description was:

Uvex S3150D Ambient OTG Safety Eyewear, Large Blue Frame, Clear Dura-streme Hardcoat/Anti-Fog Lens

I should add, they have much more room under them than many options, at least in the large.

I bought a prescription pair here:  http://www.rx-safety.com/prescription-safety-glasses

I spent $145, but I opted for anti-reflective coating ($40) and anti-fog ($10).  So if you back out the options, you could be in the sub-$100 range.

I went for these in red: http://www.rx-safety.com/specialty-collections/prescription-safety-glasses-for-dusty-environments/plastic-wraparound-safety-glasses-rx-1171-rx.html

because they look ridiculous and why not look a little ridiculous in the shop?

They have a bit of rubber inside the arms so they hold onto your head well (better than my regular glasses) - especially if your head gets a bit sweaty.  There's also a removable dust blocking piece that prevents stuff from getting behind the glasses - I don't use it though.  I find they fit fine with a 3M 7500 series respirator or under a face shield when turning.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll look into the UVEX at Amazon and a face shield is also a possibility and maybe more comfortable than googles.  I'm not saying no to the idea of prescription glasses either.  I do have an occupational set for computer work, but even in cheap frames they were significant dollars.  But seeing as so many have gone that route I'll see what my optometrist has to offer.  Ideally I would like to have a prescription solution; vision would probably be a lot clearer.  But cost in mind it's hard to beat clear plastic over eyeglasses safety glasses.  

I wear contacts...   Do all of you guys just not like or too irritated he contacts?  I can't stand wearing my glasses...so glasses over my glasses especially with the respirator would be miserable.  Good luck in your search.  This topic has come up before and I've always passed along the suggestions to my brother because he's always trying to find something too without any success. 

I've got presbyopia and astigmatism.  Long story short, contacts aren't the best solution for me.  I've worn glasses all my life, so I'm used to them.  I'd switch to contacts (or laser surgery, or lens replacement) if they were a better solution for me than glasses. There are new developments coming out every year, so I keep checking. 

I had contacts once, it took me 40 mins per eye to get them in. My eyes don't open too wide and I have almost a phobia about things touching my eyes. So I haven't bothered to get them again. I also wake up in zombie mode. I'm not sure I even open my eyes until I've been awake 3 hours. I can't imagine trying to jam those things in at 3:30am.

I wear contacts some of the time, but I stare at a computer screen all day for my day job so I find they don't work for me all the time. Usually my shop time is a half hour here and there, so I can't be bothered to go put contacts in just for that. The uvex safety glasses over my regular ones seems to work pretty well, and means that I don't fall in the trap of just firing up the tools with only regular glasses on because I'm "just making one cut".

When I had my cataract surgery I chose to be near sighted (yes, you do get a choice) so, I only need glasses to drive and sometimes to watch TV. I can read and work close (10 foot or so) with out any problem. Most people choose to be far sighted so that they only need glasses to read or do close work.So safety glasses or respirators are not a problem for me. 

I post this for the older folks who may be close to doing something about their vision when the time comes. 

Rog

• Like 1

The government started telling me I need an annual cash expenditure at the doctors office in order to buy contacts. That is rather inconvenient right now in my HDHP. 

I wear contacts...   Do all of you guys just not like or too irritated he contacts?  I can't stand wearing my glasses...so glasses over my glasses especially with the respirator would be miserable.  Good luck in your search.  This topic has come up before and I've always passed along the suggestions to my brother because he's always trying to find something too without any success. 

I've got presbyopia and astigmatism.  Long story short, contacts aren't the best solution for me.  I've worn glasses all my life, so I'm used to them.  I'd switch to contacts (or laser surgery, or lens replacement) if they were a better solution for me than glasses. There are new developments coming out every year, so I keep checking. 

Ditto and add near sighted.  I would be complicated to correct with contacts and my optometrist who has known me for years (and the outcome I would expect) doesn't encourage me to try them again.  I might some day, but  'xcuse the pun, if I did it would be with my eyes open.  

Laser surgery is a no go until I retire.  I rely on my vision for my employment, so I could not accept even a nominal surgical risk at this time.  

When I had my cataract surgery I chose to be near sighted (yes, you do get a choice) so, I only need glasses to drive and sometimes to watch TV. I can read and work close (10 foot or so) with out any problem. Most people choose to be far sighted so that they only need glasses to read or do close work.So safety glasses or respirators are not a problem for me. 

I post this for the older folks who may be close to doing something about their vision when the time comes. 

Rog

That is a very interesting point.  Not actually hoping for cataracts, but as one doesn't get to choose in those types of matters it's worth keeping this point in mind.  

When my father got cataract surgery I was jealous, and asked if I could get my lenses replaced.  I figured a fixed focal length was better than a fixed focal length(presbyopia) plus astigmatism.  But, lens replacement is not an approved treatment for "needing glasses".

My default glasses are single lens, focused at arm's length.  Distance is a little blurry, but there's nothing I can't do.  I can drive with them on.  I take them off for close up work.  I have bifocals (distance over arm's length) that I use for driving, movies, theater, etc.  And goggles (arm's length over "reading") that I use for woodworking.  I found the standard bifocals (distance over "reading") to be useless.  I couldn't comfortably use a computer, see what was on my desk or table, see people I was standing next to.  I could hold something right up to my face, but how often do I do that?  And, I spend most of my time indoors, so "distance" isn't very helpful.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2015 at 7:28 PM, SawDustB said:

I've been using a pair of uvex safety glasses that fit over my prescription glasses. I've been pretty happy, especially since they were only about $15. The amazon description was:

Uvex S3150D Ambient OTG Safety Eyewear, Large Blue Frame, Clear Dura-streme Hardcoat/Anti-Fog Lens

I should add, they have much more room under them than many options, at least in the large.

I finally got around to ordering a set of these.  I think they are very good.

I also found a Stanley product that works well (in fact I think the Stanley is made by Uvex).  

The Stanley is Astrospec OTG Clear Lens RST-61013

Both of these OTG models actually fit comfortably Over My Glasses, and I have a wide frame (supposedly stylish).  Next time around I am getting a narrow frame.  I don't actually care much how I look, but I am concerned about how well I can see.

I give the nod to the Stanley model for clarity, but only slightly and the Uvex is slightly more comfortable to wear.

A more significant difference,  the Uvex is much easier to slip on and off, but then again on a hot sweaty day I could see them slipping off when I look down.  

Both are about $15.  

By the way, all the face masks I checked into still called for the user to wear goggles under the face mask?!