Finish for a Brazilian Cherry Pocket Knife

ajkezele

FYI, there's no problem linking to another forum if it will be of value to someone.  Gourd head.  We're not prisoners here...this place is about learning.

But I'd just rub on a couple coats of T&T.  Close-to-the-wood, low sheen, silky smooth and beautiful.  The last thing I'd want on knife scales is a film.  But that's me.  I don't care for film in general.  Simply handling the knife over the years will give it a patina that will be unmatched by any finish.

• Like 1

FYI, there's no problem linking to another forum if it will be of value to someone.  Gourd head.  We're not prisoners here...this place is about learning.

But I'd just rub on a couple coats of T&T.  Close-to-the-wood, low sheen, silky smooth and beautiful.  The last thing I'd want on knife scales is a film.  But that's me.  I don't care for film in general.  Simply handling the knife over the years will give it a patina that will be unmatched by any finish.

Sorry...T&T? Relatively new to wood working so I'm trying to pick up on the lingo.

Thanks for the response!

Awesome, thanks.  Am I correct in assuming this isn't something I could find at a Lowe's or HD?  

I have BLO and poly but are there any other products that would be better that I could find at a big box store? Absent an alternative I was thinking of just using one or both of those.

Time and place.  ARS is still my one true love.  I intend to go down the tung oil wormhole one day and when the time is right get the Fuji out of the box and learn lacquers and try shellac again.  In the meantime I use ARS on 90% of my builds.  I like the T&T on small items that don't need much protection.  It's as natural as a finish can look.  Here are a couple...

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_00052-1.jpg

I don't think a pocketknife would need any protection since there's nothing out there that can truly protect a pocketknife from the abuse a pocketknife takes.  So I would just quench its thirst with some kind of oil and let nature take its course.  Over the years the oils from your hand will essentially act as finish.

And yes, the obligatory reindeer are of course Uncle Mel inspired.