Simulate butternut on maple

Nick D Edge

Butternut is in the walnut family and has a similar grain and texture...and it's not at all similar to maple.  It also has a fairly unique color and one that probably won't be too easy to match.  It goes without saying that if you want it to look like butternut, use butternut...but it is a somewhat less common domestic species than others so you may have a little trouble locating it.  My local dealer does not carry it.

If you're forced to use dyes or stains, I would suggest using an oak species instead of maple.  Flat sawn white would probably be better than red.  Walnut and butternut kind of have a grain that falls somewhere between the totally open and wild grain of oak, and the closed-pored, tight-grained look of maple.  I'd err on the open side.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't find butternut to be all that appealing visually...nothing like walnut anyway.  But it's a great wood to carve, and I have to think if not for that one attribute, it wouldn't be used much at all for lack of interest.  Not sure why you "need" to use butternut if you're not carving...I might consider a different species altogether.

I saw Marc's bench build on Tommy Mac's show and loved the walnut/butternut combo.

I am building a coffee and end tables and want the lighter wood for the top. I don't want to use butternut because of the softness of the wood. The white oak is a good suggestion for the grain pattern instead of the maple. I will give that a test. Thanks