Painting a saw

Brendon_t

With the unisaw totally stripped down, there are a few holes from the 3ph controls I'd like to weld shut and figure i might as well paint the cabinet also. 

Will rattle can rustoleum be sufficient? I will 320 scuff the old paint to help it adhere, just not sure if rattle can paint is good enough. If not, I'd have to brush on since I don't spray.

Good to know. I have sprayed a lot of rattle can and can usually get a pretty darn good finished product with super light coats every 20-30 minutes as the last coat is getting tacky.

as far as powder coating it, I feel that's a bit more than I care for a tool finish. 

Chet, a sponge roller is still on the table. I was trying to make sure the rattle can would actually work. 

In taking our own advice when it comes to finishing,  I pulled out the steel shelf that is painted the same as the cabinet and did a little pre paint prep then hit it with some rustoleum hammered finish with primer. It looks like it went on very well. In a few days when its sufficiently hard.  I'll ding it up and see if it chips off easily. 

Then make a decision for the full cabinet.

I've gotta admit pulling this thing down to pieces tearing apart sub assemblies,  breaking out my Snap-On tools, makes me miss my wrenching on cars.. 

Edited by Brendon_t

A cheap touch up spray gun from harbor freight and you'll get better results, but let me give you one piece of advice from someone who has done a little auto painting, sand your existing paint with 600, then  sand your primer coat with 320, a high build primer is a beautiful thing to. 

• Like 1

After closing up a few of the holes with the welder, i sanded up to 400 since that's the highest I had and sprayed a thin slip coat of the silver hammer finish with primer.

I chose the hammer finish for the same reason I texture my walls, the texture hides A Lot.  The saw is 20 years old and does have some dents and dings. I'm hoping that after a few nice thin coats, the texture will hide most of them.  So far,  it looks pretty darn good. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint will do visually.