Bleaching stains

Just Bob

I am working on a live edge slab of sapele, I am ready to epoxy the edge, but there are some  iron stains along the edge.  The stains aren't "horrible" but they are going to show once its finished.  So I would like to try to bleach them out, I have used bleach on oak, but that's the limit of my experience with bleach.  Couple of questions.  Do you see any problems with using bleach?  And if I do this should I bleach the entire edge or just work on the areas with the stain.  Yes I know there are a ton of powder post beetle holes, I have already talked the supplier, the wood was kiln dried, and they are not going to hurt the final project at all.  I not sure the stains are going to show in the pictures. 

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

I personally would leave the stains as it adds character to the piece. Once you apply a finish to it it will enhance. 

If you were really worried about the staining just hand sand without a sanding block and you will soon get rid of the stains.

I have sanded it as much as I can, anymore sanding I loose the the edge.   I am under the gun with this counter, I promised that it would be done by Thanksgiving, so keep the stains it is.  Thanks for the replies.

Yes you would have to bleach the entire edge. If you don't, your stains will be gone and what is left behind are areas of clean and dirty, zebra stripes. 

Now bleaching the entire edge is problematic from the standpoint of the bleach will migrate up and around to the face side of the board causing the sapwood to go really white and look like shit. You would actually have to bleach up to the heart to make it look consistent. Now, guess what happens if you bleach up to the heart. Yup, the bleach will migrate to the heart causing it to go lighter.

Now, if you were to use stains and dyes to finish the piece. We can handle the uneven color due to bleaching.

I think the edge is just dirty. My suggestion, try a solution of TSP and a good scrub brush and wash the edge or even the entire board to equalize it. Or try a weak solution of household bleach and a scrub brush. 

If you go this direction - make sure to neutralize the bleach and the TSP. If you don't, your finish may not play nice with the wood causing adhesion issues.   

TEST ON SCRAP ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO EVEN APPLYING THE FINISH.

-Ace- 

I think bleaching wood is supposed to be done with a different chemical than household bleach. Oxalic acid crystals might be what was used, it was so long ago that I used it. I think Highland Woodworking carried some sort of wood bleach, not that it matters with your deadline. 

You are correct about the wood bleach. 

My comment about using a weak household bleach was to wash the wood to remove the dirt in the edge of the wood. However, full strength household bleach will bleach the wood "some" just not as intense as the wood bleaches you suggest. If anything, the weak household bleach may make the "stains" less noticeable without really getting the sap wood to white looking.

-Ace-

Edited by AceHoleInOne