To finish or not to finish that is the question!

Clifford

I am currently building a sewing machine cabinet, (the sewing central ) from plans I purchased from Rockler woodworking. I am to the stage where I am about to put the two pedestals together, one will have drawers and one will not. I know I need to sand and finish the inside of the pedestal that is going to be seen that a given but do I need to sand  finish the inside of the pedestal that house the drawers that will not be seen . what's the benefit to putting a finish on the inside other than a way to preserve the wood I don't plan to stain so I am only putting a clear protective finish on the outside. I still haven't decided on the type of finish I want so any input on the type of finish would be helpful . I have a HVLP sprayer,  an air feed sprayer and a small homemade spray booth to keep the bugs out of the finish.     

I can easily do both sides thank you.  I had looked at an old  dresser and it was free of stain and finish on the inside and back, but it didn't look very good, probably a factory made one I know I can do better. so what type of finish would you recommend for a sewing machine table?