Picture Frame

Janello

Cool man, I like that!  How'd you do the little groove detail, just a table saw kerf?

It's actually a small thumbnail. I tilted the blade over a few degrees and ran it through on edge. I was planning on having to make an adjustment but got lucky with the fence location on first try. Half the blade stayed buried in the stock. No measurements...just luck ;)

Nice frame! I can't believe you got that stock from HD, mine only has meh red oak. Who is the artist? Or is that an animation cel?

Thanks! It was hand drawn by a Disney artist. 

I see figured boards at HD from time to time...not that I ever buy there, but I can't help but look.  It's no surprise, given that figure is technically considered a defect at the mills and culled out of the FAS - and that HD sells the mills' culled out trash.  Ironically you'll spend about the same amount per board foot on "regular" maple with figure in it at HD as you would on curly maple at your hardwood dealer.  So there's really no savings there anyway.