A new and glorious dawn (in my shop)

drzaius

Last winter I decided that I had to get serious about dust collection. I'd been using a good shop vac with a Dust Deputy which worked great for small machines, but not for my contractor saw & it was a huge pain constantly having to move & trip over the hoses. After a ton of research I decided that a stationary ducted system (Oneida V-5000) was in order. But that still wouldn't completely control the huge cloud that emanates from that contractor saw every time it's started. Again, lots of research told me that a cabinet saw was the way to go & that the SawStop (36", 3HP PCS) was pretty good in that arena.

If I was going to do a ducted installation, then I might as well review my shop layout, which was much less than ideal. And I didn't want to sacrifice shop space to a cyclone. As you can see, this is starting to snowball. So I embarked on the following odyssey:

- In the basement next to the garage/shop I build a sound proof room for the collector, air compressor & some storage. 6" staggered stud walls with 6" of Roxul, and 2 layers of 5/8 drywall with GreenGlue between on each side. and for good measure, 2 insulated exterior doors back to back. Amazing how quiet it is.

- Spiral 26 ga. 8" duct throughout with 6" self cleaning blast gates at each machine.

- Completely gutted all shelving & racks & redid the entire shop layout.

Nothing got done all summer, but as of last week I was finally making sawdust. Not much of it was getting on the floor though. The dust collection is superb. The SawStop is a wonderful machine; smooth, solid, powerful & a beautiful thing to look at. Every time I go into the shop it's like Christmas morning, only way better.

This forum has been a great resource & I'd like to thank all who have contributed advice & opinions when I asked.

• Like 1

I've only used it with the jointer & table saw for about an hour total, so not enough to know if I'll have the same issues that you did with the filters filling up. Time will tell. Exhausting to the outside isn't an option for me. The neighbor's house is only about 10' away & I don't want any noise or dust issues. It sure sucks up the dust though

• Like 1

Still plenty cluttered & not fully organized yet, but a work in progress. I'll probably take the next couple of months to get to the point where I can build something other than shop stuff.

No out feed table yet. That's what the lumber on the right table saw wing is for.

SW.thumb.jpg.a88340c58139708b5e8de73f474

The planer & OSS will be on a flip top cart under the window. The workbench will go under the shelves to the left when I finish assembling it. Some sheet goods storage in the corner.

NW.thumb.jpg.9e54106890737b9a9ff51143cf2

These duct drops are for the secondary table saw location. I'll need to move the saw there if cutting anything longer than about 6'. Shouldn't be too bad, I got the industrial mobile base on the saw & it's sooo easy to move. If I raise the saw & don't hold on it'll roll down towards the OH door by itself & there is only 3" of slope in 25'.

NE.thumb.jpg.bfd1433fd7407eb38197fcb8d24

SCMS sits in it's little space in the shelves & is mounted on slides. There's an 8" duct connected to it. I still have to connect a 2.5" hose to the saw & build some folding extensions.

SCMS.thumb.jpg.afa2707ad677cfadf709b6656

Electrical panel and dust collection controls. The gray box has a bin level alarm, ammeter, and filter guage. Below that is a fire alarm panel connected to a heat detector in the cyclone drum in the basement.

Panel.thumb.jpg.0be068bcc97020709d40307a

• Like 2

At least now we know how a garage can be listed for 2.5 cars. ? Mine would be a 6-car, if I were parking Smarts in it!

I measured, it would fit 9 Smarts with room to spare.

I think you guys are missing the point - the Smart is really just a backup power source for his shop when the power is out!

Trust me, the Smart doesn't have enough power for much of anything. 85 miles per gallon on the highway though.

• Like 1

Looks like a great space you have there.

A buddy of mine has Smarts and his son lowered the suspension on his and put bigger alloys on (so the wheels caught on the bodywork and would not steer right - he is a bit dim), had the ECU remapped for more power and ended up flipping it. He videod one of the unintentional flips while backing up at slow speed - I have it somewhere - and said on the video "I don't believe it - not again". His dad tells me He had done this a few times before he realised he should not have made any mods to the car at all. Needless to say he doesn't have a Smart anymore.

Meanwhile his dad still drives his unmodded Smart with no issues at all.

Moral don't let a kid hotrod a Smart.