Picture frame for my baby daughter

SawDustB

I thought I would put up pictures of a frame I made for my daughter a couple of weeks ago. The wood I used came from a cross member in large pallets we get in at work for shipping sheet metal. This one piece had really wild color in it, although I would guess that the species is beech, maybe, or something similar.

The dovetails are purely decorative, although they're enough to hold a picture frame together. The finish is a few coats of rattle can lacquer. The contents of the frame is art my sister and my other daughter with her name.

Thanks for looking!

cac78bac02f49e587564b7c7d78823f7.jpg

fda813ea4faa460c28ef94df5808b330.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I thought that with the variation in the wood, a typical mitered frame would look odd, so it was either half laps or dovetails. This is one of those ideas I've been wanting to try. It worked out OK, although I had to do a minor repair since the end of the cross pieces is prone to splitting when it's assembled if the fit is too tight.

Brian, really neat looking frame! You said the dt's were strictly decorative, meaning there's other joinery involved?

Thanks coop. No other joinery, other than a small spline in one corner to repair where the wood caught on the router table. All I meant is that the grain direction for the dovetails is wrong, so it's mostly end grain glued to side grain (and it's vulnerable to splitting if it's tight). The joint still holds together pretty well, more than good enough for hanging on the wall. I decided doing a "proper" dovetail, which would have had the joint showing on the side of the frame, wouldn't have the same visual impact.