Stupid Scroll Saw Question

Lee Bussy

Just to clarify, I'm the stupid one in the title, not the scroll saw.

For fun I took a scroll saw class at the guild over the weekend.  I'll tell you what, it gave me a LOT more respect for the folks that do that sort of thing.  Anyway, they sent us home with a couple catalogs: one from The Wooden Teddy Bear.  With apologies to those who like that sort of thing, they have a lot more there than just fretwork wolf heads.  I was curious though about what it really is that they are selling.  Take for instance this tissue box cover:

tbp906c.thumb.JPG.c42bdcdd5df8a3e169ae7b

For $6.50 it seems high for a piece of paper with the pattern on it, and low for five pieces of thin wood with a pattern printed onto it.  Which is it?

IC, okay that clears that up.  Thanks.

I guess the price is not horrible, compared to some things we buy.  I'll tell you what though, this is another one of those "$10 in parts, $200 in labor" projects.  I sat there in class for 3 hours and never even noticed how long it took.

• Like 1

I'm sure Mel is right, and it is just the pattern. Remember, someone put the effort into drawing that rather complex design to a size that fits the stated project, and most likely tested it once or twice to be certain it was feasible to make, before offering it for sale. $6.50 isn't bad for that much work.

• Like 1

I am into scroll sawing very heavily and YES, the price is just for a paper pattern. It is true that you can copy it as many times as you want to for your own use BUT, don't give it away to other people or try to re-sell the pattern. THAT IS THEFT!

I don't usually pay for patterns, I do my own or download FREE patterns from the  internet. There literally THOUSANDS of patterns, videos and how-to's  to be had there. I also generally make a few minor changes to the downloaded ones just to be different and make the item truly one-off.

Rog

I am into scroll sawing very heavily and YES, the price is just for a paper pattern. It is true that you can copy it as many times as you want to for your own use BUT, don't give it away to other people or try to re-sell the pattern. THAT IS THEFT!

I don't usually pay for patterns, I do my own or download FREE patterns from the  internet. There literally THOUSANDS of patterns, videos and how-to's  to be had there. I also generally make a few minor changes to the downloaded ones just to be different and make the item truly one-off.

Rog

You may know then Rog - the guy teaching the class said he downloaded a simple/free application to print a temple in a color other than black.  Any idea what that program is?

I'm sure Mel is right, and it is just the pattern. Remember, someone put the effort into drawing that rather complex design to a size that fits the stated project, and most likely tested it once or twice to be certain it was feasible to make, before offering it for sale. $6.50 isn't bad for that much work.

When you put it that way, I guess you're right.

I also bought the book the guy was teaching from.  It had a succession of templates for the beginner which seemed a good way to start:

d3b1819d1edd086c774f7cad82e1ca71.1500

You may know then Rog - the guy teaching the class said he downloaded a simple/free application to print a temple in a color other than black.  Any idea what that program is?

I have no idea why you would ever need to print a pattern in any color other than black or maybe grey. Maybe if a particular color was easier for you to see like red or something (?) your printer should be able to help you with that.

I have been mentoring Ken Cooper on using a scroll saw a bit (been waiting to see a picture of  the cross Ken. :) ) and I would be glad to help you too. We used PM (Private Message) to converse. He asked me a question and as usual I went over board and our conversation went on for days so be warned! :)

The book you show, or any book for that matter, should help a bunch to get you started. There are hundreds of books and magazines not to mention scroll saw sites such as Steve Good's Scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com. that I go to daily. 

Rog

When you put it that way, I guess you're right.

I also bought the book the guy was teaching from.  It had a succession of templates for the beginner which seemed a good way to start:

d3b1819d1edd086c774f7cad82e1ca71.1500

I have no idea why you would ever need to print a pattern in any color other than black or maybe grey. Maybe if a particular color was easier for you to see like red or something (?) your printer should be able to help you with that.

Some of the patterns we used were printed in red.  Those lines were much easier to contrast against the black blade.