Stupid people on craigslist!

So came across this posting on Craigslist. And like so many, I am  irritated by shady people. People who want to recoup all of their money and more for a used item, or the stupid people who ask for $400 for a ten plus year old band saw by Craftsman. I won't bother to post my reply to the jerk lol. Had some strong  language  pointing out is stupidity. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by rmartuszewski

Well it would also have a $100 freight charge.

Freight is $79.99 to me per the website. Also, that is not the point. The point is this is a used machine being sold for new pricing. There are only a few things that are sold that way. Mostly higher end hand tools, not machines.

Yep, I had that on a workbench.  $70 for an old work bench (front and tail vise, in good shape) and after two days of dealing with the seller and exchanging photos, agreeing to the price and setting up a pickup (and renting the truck to pick it up) I get a text "so sorry, husband sold it to a guy from work and forgot to tell me..."  I would have come immediately, but the seller said, 'no rush, just come by tomorrow morning'.

Yep, some folks have no honor at all....I had a reply all typed up, and deleted most of it cause it would not have done any good to say how I really felt to her.

Jeff in KC

Freight is $79.99 to me per the website. Also, that is not the point. The point is this is a used machine being sold for new pricing. There are only a few things that are sold that way. Mostly higher end hand tools, not machines.

I agree that it isn't reasonable to charge new prices for used even if they never unboxed it.  And I don't think high end hand tools should be that unless you get into things that are out of production.

I was selling some old appliances, rather than pay to have them hauled away when the new ones came.  I wanted to sell the set but was willing to entertain individual offers.  After a few people that failed to reply when I confirmed it was available, a woman emailed me to see if I would sell just the dishwasher.  I had a tentative offer on the others for a landlord, so I said that I would.  Then she haggled it down to $20 after far more back and forth than was necessary if she'd just lead with $20.  Fair enough.  Then the next exchange, she asked if I would deliver it to her address!  I told her I'd rather drag it to the curb for $20.  The tentative offer guy wanted to back out but offered to buy the set anyway if I couldn't find another buyer, which was nice, but I did get another offer from some people trying to help out a neighbor.  Those fellows brought a nice big pickup and enough guys to load everything themselves, so all ended well.  Still more effortful than I thought it'd be.

I'm guessing there is tax too.   I've seen a lot worse things on craigslist.

This is this guys mentality. 

image.jpg

People like this is why the banks did the damage to this country in the first place. Just my two cents lol. 

That isnt at what he is doing, though.  He isn't listing a $25 item for $700.

I have contacted sellers that had inflated pricing, and I was able to get to a fair price. Some sellers know they are going to get beat up so badly that they have a high price just so they can sell at a fair price. So, to say he shouldn't have contacted the guy is bad advice. However, it may have been handled in a more professional matter.

• Like 1

I have contacted sellers that had inflated pricing, and I was able to get to a fair price. Some sellers know they are going to get beat up so badly that they have a high price just so they can sell at a fair price. So, to say he shouldn't have contacted the guy is bad advice. However, it may have been handled in a more professional matter.

Did he contact him to negotiate with intent to buy or just to tell him it's too expensive? It doesn't really matter. Everyone has their own mo. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So, to say he shouldn't have contacted the guy is bad advice. However, it may have been handled in a more professional matter.

how it was presented, the buyer/op doesn't look like he ever had any intention of making an offer or even trying to buy it. His email only says "You do realize the jointer your trying to sell, sells for way less brand new" that isn't feeling out if the seller is firm,  and using good research to get a fair price. It's pontificating,  then to get into a name calling pissing match on the Internet because of it just seems rediculous to me.

Edited by Brendon_t
  • Like 2