Finally have a jointer

andrew-in-austin

Finally!  This is the last "big" machine I have been wanting to get.  This is also my first jointer, and I am hoping my last.  It is very old, probably from the 50's.  The manufacturer is "L. Power".  They made stuff starting in the late 1800's.

The jointer has 16" width capacity and tables are just shy of 8 feet.  The cutterhead has 3 knives.  The previous user converted this to a "dispoze-a-blade" system, so the knives do not need to be set.  The motor is a 3HP direct drive (no belts) and is 3 phase.  I'll have to pick up another VFD (variable frequency drive).  

I also need to tap the threads that hold the fence to the table (threads are very worn).  The surface if the tables has some black color to them, not sure from what.  Not sure I will even attempt to remove it, as the tables are smooth and flat.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

• Like 1

Man, thats a Beast.  That should get it done.  

The color on the table just seems to be what you get after the years of a cast iron table.  I would just hit it with mineral spirits or WD-40 and a scotchbrite pad.  you may not get it completely back to its original state but as long as it is smooth the discoloration won't hurt anything.  Then wax with a non silicone wax, I just use Johnsons paste wax.

This was actually the smaller of the two I was looking at.  Here's the other:

540x360.jpg

I bid on this one recently at an auction not too far from me.  It has 24" width, 9 feet long, and over 3200 pounds.  I really did not need that capacity, but just wanted it because it's.... just so kick ass!  Anyway, with auction fees it went over $4300, and I could not justify that.  That particular model of Oliver is pretty rare.  

The one I got cost $2300, not much more than a standard 12" jointer.  I have not tried it out yet, but I started some adjustments.  I don't have a good straight edge yet, but I do have a 118" festool track, which is actually quite straight when you flip it 90 degrees (the thick edge down).  This is long enough that I can rest it along both tables end to end with some track to spare.  The tables were not perfectly co-planer.  The infeed table had about a 1/32" gap at the far right end (farthest away from the cutter).  I chose to shim the far left of the outfeed table to "angle" it downward to match the infeed table.  I have closed the gap nearly all the way.  I have not measured with feeler gauge yet, but my best guess is under .003" at the far right end.  I'll fine tune it some more after trying some boards and seeing how they come out.  Right now I need the VFD to arrive and finish up the duct work in my garage.   I am so close to making saw dust.....

Very awesome. BTW if the threads have stripped you can have a shop helicoil them for you. Then you can use the original size bolt. Exhaust manifolds on engines sometimes have this problem and a good automotive repair shop may be able to help.

A quick gargle revealed this link http://www.helicoil.in/

Top question on my list, what do you do that you need that kind of capacity?

First project will be my wife's desk, which I would like to find a ~14" wide, 12/4 thick board which I can re-saw into two book matched pieces for the top.

There are other ways to joint a board that width, and I have tried those and they work.  However, this should be much much faster.

• Like 1

First project will be my wife's desk, which I would like to find a ~14" wide, 12/4 thick board which I can re-saw into two book matched pieces for the top.

There are other ways to joint a board that width, and I have tried those and they work.  However, this should be much much faster.

Im with you man. I would have a 24" jointer if i could afford it and if i had the space. Definitely not a "need" all the time but when you do need it it is amazing to have.

Helicoils are good if you need to use the same size bolt.  Depending on what size the threads are, if you can go to the next larger size, the hole to tap new threads may be a little smaller than the one needed for a Helicoil.  I had to tap a 7/8" in my tractor block where it had been 3/4" for holding on the front end loader.  It wasn't as bad as it might sound like.  I bought drill bits and taps off ebay for pretty cheap.

A direct drive jointer can't be beat for smoothness.

Edited by Tom King

I found it on Craigslist. They don't come up often in that size. There's also bidspotter which handles a lot of closed plants. There's also vintagemachinery.com which has a classified section. 

Previously I won a Northfield jointer on eBay, but seller then refused to "strap it down" on the pallet it was already on (seriously?) to have it shipped.  Then I worked out a deal with someone selling an Oliver jointer (like the one pictured but 16" width), and then they backed out.  So it took some persistence. It was certainly temping to just order one from grizzly, but I am glad I waited. 

I used the same gantry crane that I built to unload the 36", 2400 pound bandsaw.  http://www.woodtalkonline.com/uploads/monthly_2015_10/IMG_1904.jpg.6d79e2e94b1e219bd1b3ec29e9aaef85.jpgBy comparison the jointer was a walk in the park. After getting off the trailer, I used my engine hoist to pick it up and roll it inside the garage.  It was not easy, but totally manageable. 

I just got the VFD, but I still need some ducting parts before I start using it. Hopefully next week I will have it operational. 

Edited by andrew-in-austin
  • Like 1