$50 at Home Depot

A friend gave me a $50 gift card for Home Depot.  I want to use it to buy myself a present, rather than just using it as cash against something I would have bought anyway.

I'm thinking of buying more clamps (obviously), or maybe a little Stinger wet/dry vac.  With a four story house, it's nice to not have to lug a big vacuum around for small clean ups after a little DIY project.

What would you buy with $50 at Home Depot?  I'm willing to add some of my own money.  Any good Black Friday sales I should take advantage of?

Gallon of TB, blue tape, can of mineral spirits. 

Funny, that's exactly what I got in my last Home Depot run, plus some blue shop towels.  But I want to get something fun, something I can tell my friend "here's what I bought" and he'll say "oooh".

If you wanted something more tangible, they have the Ridgid flip top stand (

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

) that is a really nice alternative to a roller.

That's a good idea - I've been eyeing those. 

1: More clamps, 2: Router bits, 3: Table saw blades, 4: More clamps

There are some router bits I've been eying, but I just remembered that I've had a brad nailer in my Amazon shopping cart for months.  It's the right price range, and I've wanted one forever.  But, my compressor only delivers 2.0 cfm @ 90 psi, and most of the 18 ga brad nailers say they want 2.6 or 2.8.  Anyone have a recommendation for an 18 ga brad nailer that will run on a 2.0 cfm @ 90 psi compressor?

The last gift card I had was used on a pneumatic tired hand truck! Makes it much easier to pack heavy items out to the shop!

I love mine.  I bought one of those for a housewarming gift for a friend.  He and his wife looked at me kinda funny, but six months later they said that they used it all the time, for gardening, landscaping, and all kinds of stuff in the home.  

• Like 1

Check the special Holiday sale aisles up front.  There are often some good deals there on stuff that's not junk.  The Husky wrenches and black with white stripe screwdrivers are really pretty good.  For every tool that needs a dedicated wrench or screwdriver, I mostly have Husky wrenches and screwdrivers for, either in the toolbox with the tool, or hanging on the saw or machine.

I think it was last year that they had a good sized set of those screwdrivers on sale for $8.88.  This is the set:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10671198339961737735?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1920&bih=985&q=husky+screwdriver+set+on+sale&oq=husky+screwdriver+set+on+sale&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.108194040,d.eWE&tch=1&ech=1&psi=QZRTVvj6LIaGmQHS56fQDQ.1448317991227.3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW3riPzafJAhVM7SYKHXdOD_0QuSQImwE

Edited by Tom King

First,  I'd be using it on their online store. 

Home Depot is a distributor for a lot of brands they do not carry in store but do have online.

With 50 bucks, I would probably ask myself the question what is something I would really like to have but would not necessarily spend my money on it?

For example, in the $50 price range I could get a toolbox mounted bluetooth speaker system for my big snap on tool box. That is not necessarily something I would go out and buy pants I haven't but if somebody gave me a $50 Home Depot card I may strongly consider it.

It would take a few more bucks out of pocket but the Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander is a great addition to any shop.

That's definitely on my "I've always wanted one" list, but at $200 and no Black Friday sale I think it will stay on my list.  Another thing on that list was a brad nailer , and that's right in the $50 price range.  The Husky is $70 marked down to $50 on the HD website.  Anyone want to talk me out of it?  I have a lot of shop furniture to build where glue and brads would be appropriate.

On 11/22/2015 at 5:02 PM, Beechwood Chip said:

Funny, that's exactly what I got in my last Home Depot run, plus some blue shop towels.  But I want to get something fun, something I can tell my friend "here's what I bought" and he'll say "oooh".

That's a good idea - I've been eyeing those. 

There are some router bits I've been eying, but I just remembered that I've had a brad nailer in my Amazon shopping cart for months.  It's the right price range, and I've wanted one forever.  But, my compressor only delivers 2.0 cfm @ 90 psi, and most of the 18 ga brad nailers say they want 2.6 or 2.8.  Anyone have a recommendation for an 18 ga brad nailer that will run on a 2.0 cfm @ 90 psi compressor?

You just need to take your time then.  As a nailer is not a constant demand item as long as you are not using it too fast you really don't need much CFM.  I know that the craftsman compressor that came with my brad nailer doesn't put out much in the way of CFM and sometimes if I go to quick it loses pressure, but stop for 30 seconds and you are good.

I should note that I would not be surprised to see the porter cable compressor with brad nailer on sale at home depot for $100 on black friday so you might want to get that.

This set I think it was

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-Gal-Portable-Air-Compressor-16-Gauge-Nailer-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Crown-Stapler-Combo-Kit-PCFP12234/203471431

And I looked up my compressor, it is a mighty .5 CFM at 90 PSI.  No wonder stapling plastic I ran out the reservoir.