update mac or not?

treeslayer

There are many that have had problems with the Apple Mail app under El Capitan  IF you use a POP mail server.  Exchange servers and things like Gmail have no problems.  I use a mail service that uses POP servers for my domain.  Apple mail does not work any longer under El Capitan.   I have converted to Air Mail 2 with no problems - it is available through the App Store.

I have some probs but I think my macbook pro is just getting outdated at this point. I bought it in 2009. It worked beautifully up until the latest os version. Now it's bogged down.

Oldest Mac I upgraded to El Capitan is a Mid 2009 Macbook Air (only 2 gb of RAM, but it does have a SSD). So far it's working faster than it did with the previous versions and I found no issues whatsoever. YMMV.

Oldest Mac I upgraded to El Capitan is a Mid 2009 Macbook Air (only 2 gb of RAM, but it does have a SSD). So far it's working faster than it did with the previous versions and I found no issues whatsoever. YMMV.

I'm at 4 gb of ram. But no SSD. Man I wish I had one though. The wireless is starting to go out of it as well as just being incredibly slow. I need to take some time and go troubleshoot stuff!

• Like 1

I'm a beta tester for Mac and worked with El Capitan for several months before its release. It has some great new features and the architecture is strong. Mail does have a few minor glitches but overall it's a fine upgrade. 

So was I. Started with Snow Leopard all the way to Mavericks. I still receive the invitations, but I just don't have the time.

This is good news.  I'm still running Snow Leopard too and was hesitant upgrading to an inferior OS, which Yosemite was supposed to be.   Supposedly hard drives should be replaced every 7-8 years? 

Don't forget to create a new USB boot drive after upgrading!

1. Upgrade the OS

2. Create a new boot drive

3. Install new hard drive

4. Utilize new boot drive to reinstall OS via Time Machine

My battery is going bad too.  Takes about 3 hours to recharge and I get maybe 30 minutes out of it.