My take on the kitchen helper

SawDustB

As I've mentioned a couple times in other posts, I've been building a kitchen helper for my oldest daughter since the end of July. I finally finished it and put it into action, so I thought I'd share some pictures. It's made from what my supplier called brown maple, which seemed to have a little more character than the standard sap maple. The finish is 3 coats of arm r seal semi gloss.

03371ce4bb3e8ce1b580f4eaedc2c733.jpg

0ad4747898936d830c11af7cd11a5ea3.jpg

The one element I wasn't crazy about with the standard design was having the bolts show on the outside of the legs, so I opted for knock down hardware from Lee valley instead. There's a threaded insert with a post projecting from the leg, which is then tightened down using the set screw you can see in my picture.

a013362aac0a4896a847c822ba8cb6ee.jpg

I also didn't go with the dowel pins to hold the platform, since I couldn't make my dowel stock and any drill bits I had work together. Instead, I used door latches from Lee valley to stop the platform from tipping up. Works well, and less likely to get lost since they're screwed on.

b6251c8fc25f110106c6c91de8fc7990.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

• Like 2

I didn't mention, but I used dowels to assemble this instead of dominos. I used 3/8 inch dowels, with 2 in the small cross pieces and 3 dowels plus a knockdown fitting or 4 dowels on the larger pieces. I think I counted over 200 holes that I had to drill for this. It figures that I just got a set of decent bits for my birthday, the day after I finished it. In retrospect, the dowels worked fine but I should have gotten a better jig.

Thanks! It was supposed to be for her birthday in September (and it was 80% complete) but then we had her sister so the timeline slipped a little... I think she didn't believe me that she would ever get to use it. She was pretty excited when I actually brought it in, and just kept telling me "thank you" and that it was "really sweet".

Brian, really great looking. You mentioned break down. What does it breakdown to?

Thanks Coop! The details are covered in Marc's video on it, but the sides are glued up assemblies, while the cross pieces at the front and back are not. If you were to remove the set screws that are visible in my pictures, the sides would come off and you're left with them and a pile of pieces with dowels sticking out of the ends. The knockdown hardware just leaves a metal pin sticking out of the leg, which can also be unscrewed so the whole thing is flat. The platform to stand on is just sitting in place, aside from the latches that are slid out to prevent it from tipping.

Here's the video

The only reason I can actually see breaking it down is for moving or to store it if it wasn't going to be used anymore. If Marc hadn't done it that way, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to do it, since I expect with my 2 girls it should see use for the next several years. It will come apart, but the fit is pretty tight so it's not something I would want to do often. I may have needed to use a couple of quick clamps to help me pull mine together, on account of tight dowels.

Thanks for the link. Back when I was a kid, right after the wheel was invented, I remember we had a high chair that would break down, (intentionally) where the bottom platform would fold out and up, and the bottom became a play table. Pretty easy to visualize from that description, eh? About 15 years ago I found one just like it at an antique store and bought it with the intention of refinishing it for my grandkids. They just started high school this year and have never seen it :wacko:. So when you said breakdown, I thought maybe it was something similar.