Cold weather finishing

MartinN

Hi Everyone 

I'm hoping for some advice from some fellow northerners on the most user friendly finish methods for cold climates.  I live in Wisconsin so it's usually 50 or below for half the year.  My shop is in my garage and has a large heater,  but I'm worried about blowing dust if I leave it on during finishing.  

I've been using arm r seal on my current project (after warming the garage to about 60 degrees) but it takes a long time to finish drying in this weather.  I don't mind waiting it out but the long dry time allows it to pick up a lot of floating dust. 

It seems like lacquer is the best bet for curing time,  but you can't spray it in the cold weather and if I close up the garage I have an issue with ventilation and the gas powered heater. 

With that in mind brush on lacquer seems like the best option but that gets a lot of hate online.  

Can anyone weigh in with how you handle cold weather finishing? 

(sorry for any punctuation issues,  this is typed on my phone at work because I can't stop thinking about this and just finished listening to the wood whisperer podcast on finishing). 

Thanks all, 

Martin 

I shudder to think of what my fiancee would do to me if I tried to finish my projects in our finished basement...   

With trying to rub the dust out,  will I have to do that between every coat? (I'm worried about sanding through).  I would think that each additional layer of arm r seal will bury the dust deeper. 

I shudder to think of what my fiancee would do to me if I tried to finish my projects in our finished basement...  

I bet you'd be surprised at how reasonable she can be if you explain the problem.  Here's a pic of a winter glue up on our kitchen island.  Balmy 70* in there and the granite surface is nice and flat:

A6D853F6-1DAE-4F6F-8435-7689435721CE_zps

• Like 2

Martin, I am also in WI, and there isn't a great solution other than warm up the shop,and only finish when the air is not being disturbed (easier said than done, especially in a garage shop).  My biggest issue is that I prefer to spray whenever possible, but without an indoor spray booth, there is only about 3-5 months of the year where weather cooperates.  

I have found that thinning the finishes goes a long way toward speeding up the process, but will take more coats if you are looking for a build up.  However if you aren't, then go oils all the way.  Beautiful rich tones, that you can always knock down and reapply very easily as needed, and a wax rub out at the end will help to hide some of the dust imperfections.  I am sure I still get some dust in the finish, but I tend to favor oil based finishes, especially in the winter months.  

Finishing inside is the way to go. Explain to the fiance the reasons why and keep the finishing area neat and tidy. I finish in my finished basement all the time. I try and minimize household odor issues by putting a coat of finish on either right before bed or right before heading out for work in the morning. It's only there a few days.

I bring winter projects inside to finish.  Every other option is worse than that.  If it's something that's too big to bring inside, I'd make do with using space heaters.

Finishing inside is the way to go.

How could you ever use something like Arm-R-Seal in the basement or anywhere inside?    I feel like it stinks up the whole side of the house even from the garage...  Do you guys use something to combat the odor or stick to water-based or what?

How could you ever use something like Arm-R-Seal in the basement or anywhere inside?    I feel like it stinks up the whole side of the house even from the garage...  Do you guys use something to combat the odor or stick to water-based or what?

I have no issue with Arm-R-Seal inside. I find the odor goes away quite quickly and doesn't linger or go into nearby fabrics.

I have no issue with Arm-R-Seal inside. I find the odor goes away quite quickly and doesn't linger or go into nearby fabrics.

Same here.  It obviously smells while you apply it, but I've found that it goes away within 24 hours after the final coat.  And since I'm doing it in the basement, which is separate from the rest of my house, we never smell it anywhere else.

I agree. It stinks up the whole house. On the up side...it isn't as disagreeable as some smells.

Not quite cold remedy but when laying down a thick coat of straight poly, I will bring it into the house and finish on the dining room table to let as few dust nibs creep in. For the final coat of ARS on some projects, I'll do the same thing. 

Personally, I like the smell of ARS as does the wife so it's not a problem.

The smell never sticks around more than a day.

Same here.  It obviously smells while you apply it, but I've found that it goes away within 24 hours after the final coat.  And since I'm doing it in the basement, which is separate from the rest of my house, we never smell it anywhere else.

I applied lacquer in the basement once and it stunk for a good week.  Especially in the winter months, when you are intentionally trapping air inside, I'd really recommend against it.  My wife was pretty hostile!

• 2 weeks later...

The way my condo is set up, I don't have a door in my basement stairwell. This summer past I made a woodframe at the bottom of the stairs, and then sealed the room off with plastic sheaving and used a fan to vent fumes out the window. It worked really well into the fall, though  I'm not sure if I want to keep a window open for hours once winter comes (if it ever comes this year), so I am thinking of moving towards shellac and water based finishes in the future.

Also, if your shop is dusty before finishing, place an electric kettle on the floor with the lid open and let it boils off the contents. The steam will cause dust to get heavy and fall to the floor.

• Like 1

I always spray outdoors, in the backyard.  If the weather is cold, not freezing, but cold (like 6 degrees C or so), I will spray outdoors and then bring the peice indoors to dry.  I make sure I keep the finish pot inside right until I am ready to finish.

This takes time and effort, as I always have to move the work before and after each coat.  I try to get the majority of my finishing done before the cold weather comes.

If not spraying, I apply minwax wipe on poly in a dedicated space I have in my basement with good light.

I always spray outdoors, in the backyard.  If the weather is cold, not freezing, but cold (like 6 degrees C or so), I will spray outdoors and then bring the peice indoors to dry.  I make sure I keep the finish pot inside right until I am ready to finish.

This takes time and effort, as I always have to move the work before and after each coat.  I try to get the majority of my finishing done before the cold weather comes.

If not spraying, I apply minwax wipe on poly in a dedicated space I have in my basement with good light.

Wow you spray in 6 degrees C? What are you spraying at that temperature? Lacquer? Why dont you shoot indoors?

I ask because i sprayed indoors today because it was around 6 degrees C outside and I never would have thought to spray outdoors. Maybe I will try it next time if you have had good experience. 

Wow you spray in 6 degrees C? What are you spraying at that temperature? Lacquer? Why dont you shoot indoors?

I ask because i sprayed indoors today because it was around 6 degrees C outside and I never would have thought to spray outdoors. Maybe I will try it next time if you have had good experience. 

I think the key is that he brings it in right after coating it so it never has a chance to get that cold. 

I think the key is that he brings it in right after coating it so it never has a chance to get that cold. 

Ya i get that, I have just always been so cautious of never spraying or finishing anything in under 20-22 degrees C. His method intrigues me and will make me try another route when spraying in the cooler fall months when i would normally have sprayed indoors with my heater cranked up. 

I only spray water bourne - almost always general finishes high performance poly.  I have only done the "spray and dash" method with smaller projects, never a really large one that would be difficult to move.  I sprayed a few drawers last week, and had no problems.

I set everything up, then filled my cup.  Sprayed the pieces, and brought them into the heated shop to dry.

I would love to spray indoors, and have been thinking about how to accomplish this for a while.  I cannot come up with a solution I like - how do you do it?