Heater for shop....some issues

Jim DaddyO

I got a good deal on a Mr. Heater tank top propane heater to get me through this year.  Unfortunately, they sent a bolt that was too short to fit the brace for it.  I don't know it is a quality control, design, or engineering issue, or if someone thought they would save a couple of cents on each unit.  All I know is that they got it wrong, and that is about the way some companies think of their customers these days.  I am disappointed that an otherwise good unit would have something so simple overlooked.

• Like 1

I had one of those at one time to heat my shop when it was 10 x 14 and you could only move a couple of feet. When My wife got my new 24 x 24 shop built it was way undersized. I ended up getting a 30,000 btu propane heater instead and in less then 30 minutes I'm turning it down to it's lowest setting. Never had a problem with excess moisture in the shop with it.

• Like 1

So, how well did it heat? I've got a small kerosene heater but I'm very hesitant to use it, one because of the carbon monoxide issues, two because of the idea of having an open flame in the wood shop with fine sawdust in the air. 

No science in this answer, but:   I am one guy working in a 25 x 25 shop.  I have watched how much sawdust I can create with one arm or for that matter how much VOC I can release with one open can of varnish and I just don't think that I have much explosion risk. 

Still I am not going with open flame in my basement shop.  I think I am tempting fate enough with an electric unit (and there's the carbon monixide).  Also consider what happens if the bag comes off your dust collection system blowing sawdust every where, or if you spill that can of mineral spirits. (Come to think of it, might be nice to have an emergency shut off for the heat).

I don't think Jim DaddyO has an electric option.

No science in this answer, but:   I am one guy working in a 25 x 25 shop.  I have watched how much sawdust I can create with one arm or for that matter how much VOC I can release with one open can of varnish and I just don't think that I have much explosion risk. 

Still I am not going with open flame in my basement shop.  I think I am tempting fate enough with an electric unit (and there's the carbon monixide).  Also consider what happens if the bag comes off your dust collection system blowing sawdust every where, or if you spill that can of mineral spirits. (Come to think of it, might be nice to have an emergency shut off for the heat).

I don't think Jim DaddyO has an electric option.

I have a small electric heater I run in my garage that's probably about the same square footage as my shop and it keeps it around 60 degrees, but my shop still hasn't been insulated because somebody won't get off their lazy a... Anyway, I know Jim is running off an extension cord, and your never supposed to run a heater off extension cords. I guess winter will be my woodworking hibernation until I get things insulated...

True.

I don't have an electric option.  I am running my saw off a 10/3 extension to a dedicated 20A circuit that is meant for a waterline heat tape (that I have not had plugged in for 13 years).   When not using the big tools I plug the overhead lights in to it.   I use mostly wipe on finishes, my latest favourite being BLO and Bees wax.  I go in the house for that.  For the shop I just need enough to put my hands near for a while to warm them up for now.  Although my father in law has one of these heaters with 2 burners and has to shut one burner off working in a 12 x 30 portable shelter (frame covered with a tarp basically) meant for parking an RV in.

Next year I hope to get a sub panel out there, a natural gas line, and a proper vented furnace.

The only issue I have working in the cold is the glue not working. I can deal with the cold, I work outdoors year round. I made my wife a jewelry box last year and it got cold early, it was a pain trying to hide glue ups from my wife and try to keep the wood warm enough to glue up. Hopefully this summer I will get at least the walls insulated, then my little electric heater will keep it nice and toasty. 

• Like 2

I had one of those at one time to heat my shop when it was 10 x 14 and you could only move a couple of feet. When My wife got my new 24 x 24 shop built it was way undersized. I ended up getting a 30,000 btu propane heater instead and in less then 30 minutes I'm turning it down to it's lowest setting. Never had a problem with excess moisture in the shop with it.

Alan, what brand heater did you get?

Thanks Alan. After reading your post, I checked a couple of places like Tractor Supply and theirs was almost $100 more than Northern Tool. And if yours has held up that long, I think I'm going to invest! There's a location on the Gulf Fwy., not too far from my office.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2015 at 0:41 PM, Alan Bienlein said:

It's been about 8 or 9 years but I think I might have gotten it at Northern tool. Here is a link to it. It has a built in fan that's thermostatically controlled.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200649343_200649343

5658a2fb4102e_3-07-0920006.thumb.JPG.28b

I see you are using a 20lb propane tank, the unit says it requires 100lb. I assume you have no issues though?

Sorry to dig up old threads, researching shop heating :)

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

I see you are using a 20lb propane tank, the unit says it requires 100lb. I assume you have no issues though?

Sorry to dig up old threads, researching shop heating :)

No I never had a problem. All that means is it has 5 times the propane in the tank and it's quite a bit larger. I'll also note that I have a 8' long hose between the tank and the heater. My local propane supplier made it up for me with the regulator.

• Like 1

I've got the dual head unit like the first posted, works well to heat my two car garage.  Problem is I'm afraid of the open flame part and carbon monoxide.  I usually let it heat my shop then turn it off and work depending on what I'm doing, wish I had something that could run the whole time I work.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT operate these within 18 inches of the floor in your garage when there are flammable vapors from ANYTHING present.

Also, DO NOT leave the tanks in your garage, even if they contain no liquid.

If operating the heater in your garage, leave the door raised a couple of inches for fresh air.

1 hour ago, KeithSz said:

DO NOT operate these within 18 inches of the floor in your garage when there are flammable vapors from ANYTHING present.

Also, DO NOT leave the tanks in your garage, even if they contain no liquid.

If operating the heater in your garage, leave the door raised a couple of inches for fresh air.

I leave the windows open a bit, the doors on my shop swing in so they are kind of hard to raise.

1 hour ago, KeithSz said: