Shopsmith?

miranthis

A buddy at work and I were talking and he mentioned that his dad, who had a stroke, had a shopsmith in the basement and he wanted my help draggin it to the curb.  I mentioned I was a woodworker and he asked me to come over and take a look and he would sell it to me.  What should I be looking for?  No idea on details at this point.  Is there a good reference for prices etc?

Jeff in KC

He wanted your help to drag it to the curb then decided he might sell it to you? What a friend..

depending on what you plan on doing, I would first very seriously research if you even WANT a shop smith..  They are severely underpowered, parts are getting quite hard to find and the later built ones have a tendency to crack. They are also very much in the world of jack of all trades, master of absolutely nothing. 

I was given a shop smith from the early 70's years ago, after going through it all and the hundreds of things for it, it was clearly not for me.  The beds are tiny, it's very hard to have any real workflow with having to break it down to add something else. I ended up giving it away to a guy from CL for free.  Actually, I think I requested a 12er of bud light... That's what it was worth to ME, your situation may vary.

• Like 2

Never used one, but I know some guys love them. They look like they completely suck. How big is that table saw table? 10" by 12"? They seem gimmicky to me. They are like those 15 in 1 fishing tools people like to get me every year for Christmas. Theres a reason I have a $150 pair of abels and not some dumb scale, pliars, clippers, toothpick, measuring tape, hook sharpener, and flashlight combo tool.

Might be worth it to help him drag it out for free, and then part it out to the poor mopes that still have them. Then, go buy real tools with your earnings.

• Like 1

I already have a full shop, this would have been a fix it up and turn it over job...i've done this with old craftsman TS before and a handful of hand planes.....sounds like even with a clean and lube it would not be worth much.  Thanks guys.   I have never used one and kept hearing they were a popular tool.

Jeff in KC

I have a 1995 Mark 510 with the bandsaw attachment and the shopsmith dust collector.  It is the main machine in my shop.   I have built a bed for my son as well as just completed a coffee table and end table for my house with mine.  These are very good machines.  As long as the shopsmith is a mark 5 you can update it to the new currents mark 7 system with digital head stock.  If the shopsmith your friend has is in good shape and runs, and is a mark 5 you will have one of the best drill presses on market.  Also the feature of having a horizontal boring machine and lathe.  For more information on Shopsmith's go to shopsmith.com and you can find all kinds of information on these machine's. 

Josh