Hybrid handsaw

Chewie17

so I have been looking into a dovetail saw but I also want to use it as a tenon or cross cut saw, I came across a video on youtube that has a hybrid tooth set that claims to do both very well.

it was by bad axe which is a good brand as far as I can tell, but is that an option from the manufacturer or was it a custom sharpening that he got the saw a hybrid?

Mark's saws are all hand filed. So it's 'custom' from the 'factory'...

Mark can get you into a 12-inch small tenon saw that's hybrid filed for around $300, give or take. He calls it the Wyatt Earp: http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/12-inch-hybrid-dovetail-small-tenon-back-saw.php  -- it's the saw he recommends for new dovetailers -- and I agree... It's very forgiving... It's also good for cross-cutting small components around the bench and small tenons... But like all 'jack-of-all-trades' tools, it doesn't excel at the individual tasks. But if you're going to get one saw, that's the one -- as long as you stick to smaller tenons...

I don't think you will hear anything bad about bad axe saws other than the price, perhaps. They are something to behold.  I have the 16 in tenon saw hybrid filed and it cross cuts well. I also have a carcass saw being built right now. If your looking for a cheaper option, I can recommend the Lie Nielsen dovetail saw. It's about a third of the price, will do small tenons, and is fine enough to do some light cross cutting. It's rip filed but with a light hand you can still cross cut. These saws have great resale value if you ever decide to upgrade. That is going to be my path. I will more than likely sell my LN carcass saw here pretty soon, and later my dovetail saw when I order a bad axe replacement. 

I don't think you will hear anything bad about bad axe saws other than the price, perhaps. They are something to behold.  I have the 16 in tenon saw hybrid filed and it cross cuts well. I also have a carcass saw being built right now. If your looking for a cheaper option, I can recommend the Lie Nielsen dovetail saw. It's about a third of the price, will do small tenons, and is fine enough to do some light cross cutting. It's rip filed but with a light hand you can still cross cut. These saws have great resale value if you ever decide to upgrade. That is going to be my path. I will more than likely sell my LN carcass saw here pretty soon, and later my dovetail saw when I order a bad axe replacement. 

I haven't looked at the Lie Nielson yet but I will look into them as well. I would rather spend good money right up front so I don't have to upgrade and at the very least I'll have a saw that can do it all well and not have to second guess if the saw can make the cross cut you know? Eventually I will get the tenon saw that has bigger capacity but I have yet to do a huge tenon so the hybrid should work well for 99% of what I need Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Have you considered the Veritas saws?  Good saws at great prices.  You could easily pick up both a dovetail saw and a crosscut saw for less than the price of a Bad Axe saw.  (They are US$69 each, and they might be on their Cyber Monday sale which would be even cheaper).

Just got an eMail from Mark. He's running a 24hr 'flash' sale. I noticed he's got a 'battle scar' 12" hybrid tenon/dovetail saw... Price is not too bad with the additional discount...

Having owned and/or used Veritas, LN, Independence, Gramercy, Disston, and just about every other backsaw available... You'll like the BaT... I've got maybe six or so... However, my go-to is the Gramercy...

Edited by hhh

I seem to remember that he recently added a distributor in Canada. Drop him an eMail, he's very good about answering. It's a very popular saw, so you can save quite a bit by purchasing a cosmetic second:http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/Bad-Axe-Seconds.php

Lee Valley has some.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=71464&cat=1,42884

Edited by Daniel.

Hybrid filed handsaws aggravate me almost as much as a dull one does.

Why is that? Any reason other than they aren't a dedicated saw file? It obviously won't cut as fast as a rip or Xcut but I'm not in it for speed yet I'm just looking to purchase I saw that can do both worlds better than buying a set to do it well Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

I've probably hand sawed about a mile of wood.  I'm very particular about a sharp saw, as much as a plane iron, or chisel.  I use a rip saw for ripping, and crosscut for anything else.  I've only had a hybrid filed saw in my hand a couple of times when showing a new woodworker how to saw a straight line with their new saw. Yes, it was slow and didn't feel right.  It's not THAT hard to learn to start a rip saw, and there can't be any advantage to a hybrid for crosscutting. 

When I started using backsaws, the only ones available were old ones, and a few new makes.  When I was young and foolish, I bought a 20 point 8" Pax.  It never cut right until I learned how to sharpen it.  Other than that saw, I don't think I've paid over 35 bucks for any of the other backsaws in the box.

If I was going to put a couple of hundred bucks in backsaws, I'd get a rip and a crosscut from LN because of the still reasonable price, but that's just me.  I get to deduct any money I put in tools, but my budget can go a lot farther without high dollar individual tools.  Pride in ownership is not high on my list.  I get paid to do work, which includes the necessity to buy and own tools for different jobs.  A multi-hundred dollar saw would be a LONG time paying its way back when a 35 dollar saw can do the same job.

Once you get past obvious things like plate thickness, fit of hand, straight, tooth count and geometry,, the only other important thing, which actually is the most important part, is sharpness.