Table saw recommendation

namluke

Hi im looking to buy a table saw with a budget of £400 - £600 

Not for industrial use just projects and some carpentry work.

Can anyone recommend one?

I'm currently thinking about getting this one below or could i get something better for my money?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PB02RI?colid=TYKFUEOATWY4&coliid=I2UT06OEOMCYEI&redirect=true&ref_=s9_wish_co_d74_g60_i8

Have a look at Axminster's website they have a series called Hobby series that are intended for low frequency usage probably like yours. You need something that has at least a leg stand as that one you linked to didn't come with one although it is Available as an option. You need a stable floor standing table saw rather than just putting that type of jobsite saw onto a bench.

Alternative websites are Record Power although their cheapest one is closer to £1000 but is fantastic (I have a RP saw and can highly recommend them.)

Look for a 10" 250mm table saw with a cast iron top. Forget about aluminium tops as they don't have enough mass to absorb any vibrations. You need to have something at least 2100 watts at 230 volts. The more power the better as it makes ripping through oak for instance far easier. Ditch the blade that comes with the saw and buy a decent general purpose 40 tooth TCT blade from Axminster - anything from the Axcaliber range is good.

BTW you can't cut dados (known as housing cuts or trenches in the UK) using most (but not all) European table saws. Dado stacks (the wider double blades with chippers) were outlawed for use in commercial workshops in Europe many many years ago due to safety concerns. Essentially the blade has got to stop within 10 seconds of the power being removed - the added mass of a full 8" dado stack normally exceeds 10 seconds run down. Use is made of braked motors in the EU and they might not be able to cope with the extra mass too. Also guarding is more difficult - but not impossible - so dado stacks are not used in commercial workshops - however you can do whatever you like in your home workshop as long as you don't have employees. They are still used in USA Canada and a few other countries. Most saws destined for the EU market don't have long enough arbor shafts to accommodate them. Surprisingly you can buy the blades though! 

So to cut dadoes and rabbets (housings and rebates) it's best to use a router in multiple passes.

• Like 1