Which SCMS?

socoj2

Wanted to buy the Bosch, but im not certain.

What would you get must be purchasable at home depot. You Festool folks. Well not going to happen =P

right now im leaning on the Ridgid saw. but here are the options.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-15-Amp-12-in-Dual-Bevel-Glide-Miter-Saw-GCM12SD/202568455

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-in-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-with-Free-Mobile-Miter-Saw-Stand-MS1290LZA-AC9945/202737054

Or the dewalt?

and which dewalt?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-12-in-Double-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-DWS780/202922350
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-12-in-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Miter-Saw-DWS709/205909852

Im not a professional by any means i just believe in quality tools. Ill be using it on a stand for the next 6 months then a miter station with Dust collection.

I have the 12" Ridgid, and have had no issues with it. I mainly use the saw for breaking down material. I have also used the saw for crown molding. Gives me a clean cut with at any angle. The quick action hold downs work well, and without issue. Not sure what else one could ask for in a saw in this price range. 

My only complaint would be that it takes up a lot of room. A whole bunch of it. Oh, and dust collection is non-existent.

My only complaint would be that it takes up a lot of room. A whole bunch of it. Oh, and dust collection is non-existent.

When it  comes to dust collection, none of them, including the Kapex, are all that and a bag of chips!  Although the Kapex is better, it's still over rated!

post-14184-0-05811600-1373745075_thumb.jYou can get all the dust, but you have to move a LOT of air.  This older model Dewalt is the only one I've ever had, and it does everything I need one to do accurately.  I think it's model 708 or something like that.  Sorry, no input on your selections.  While this box looks big, it's only an inch total deeper front to back than the saw will travel.

I have the 12" DeWalt without the slide, and I use the 12" with slide at the guild.  It's a great saw and I would not give it up.   The 10" is smoother operating but that's because the 12" really torques when it starts up.  One of the old farts (and I say that with respect) at the guild told me to start the saw with it in it's released/upper position.  When I do that I notice the torque a lot less because it has a positive stop against which to work.  Keeping some dry film lube (we use Jig-a-Loo) on the slides helps a lot

As far as dust control, I use a 20 gallon trash can with a lid, with a little over a third, less than half, cut out of one side.  Leave the top and the bottom intact, leaving maybe 6" of the sides intact up the bottom.  It catches nearly all the dust although not enough to make a dust-free shop.

ETA:  That's quite a contraption Tom!

Edited by LBussy
  • Like 1

post-14184-0-12150600-1373745117_thumb.jpost-14184-0-44656600-1373745100_thumb.jSet up in houses I work on,  I use a 3 hp DC with no blast gates catching the table saw, jointer, and that miter saw.  I built that box just as a prototype thinking that I might need to close up more of the opening, but it works great just like it is, so I haven't changed it for seven years.

There is a 1/2" wide slot at the back bottom of the box that opens into a plenum with a 6" outlet at the bottom.  If I changed anything, I would make that slot 3/4", but it works fine like it is.  Sometimes sticky sawdust (Heart Pine, and Heart Cypress) will block parts of the 1/2" slot.

It really does keep all the fine dust out of the house we're working in.

Here are a couple of other pictures from the sides, already in the gallery here.

I had a Makita 12" and was never happy with it, replaced it with a Bosch 10" glider a few months ago and it's awesome. The Bosch is the smoothest SCMS I have used and was square right out of the box. Dust collection wasn't too bad but I did add a small piece of rubber to the bottom of the pick up tube and it made a big difference difference, the pic is from before it was added.

image.jpeg

Edited by CT Proctor

I had a Makita 12" and was never happy with it, replaced it with a Bosch 10" glider a few months ago and it's awesome. The Bosch is the smoothest SCMS I have used and was square right out of the box. Dust collection wasn't too bad but I did add a small piece of rubber to the bottom of the pick up tube and it made a big difference difference, the pic is from before it was added.

image.jpeg

do you have a pic with it on there? I am curious 

I really like the Bosch, but all those moving parts on the arm scare me for longevity 

If I were again looking for a SCMS, the one feature that I would require is this: Can I adjust the angle of the miter?  On some, but not all, the bolts that hold down the angle register can be loosened so that it can be adjusted for a true cut.  Some saws do not have this adjustment. 

Come warm weather next Spring that adjustment will be one of my "tune-up" tasks on mine (old DW708) before beginning work on new projects.  Of course this will require that I purchase an alignment disc to put on in place of the blade.  But it will also be useful on my table saw for aligning it during that period.

do you have a pic with it on there? I am curious 

I really like the Bosch, but all those moving parts on the arm scare me for longevity 

It has less though.  As it doesn't have the ball cages and linear bearings but rotary actions.  So no linear wear just rotary wear on the members.  And the bearings on the saw blade get more wear than the ones on the arms.

• Like 1

Not marked down over here

You know I checked online today under my local HD store and it showed $649 and not the reduced price. Last night they told me this HD was re-introducing the "larger Bosch" tools even though it was not a HD that rents out tools - that was about it.

He reassured me it was not a return or display unit.