To Roubo OR Not-To-Roubo

wnaziri

I am finally in a position to begin building MY workbench.  

I have been looking forward to this day.  I must admit that I have had blinders on in the past and had been headed right into the Roubo project for the past 18 months.  In fact, I have bought Benchcrafted plans and have been ready to order vises and lumber.  I had anticipated modifying the plans by adding some drawers to make good use of the space in the bench.

Over the past 2 months, I have been having second thoughts about the Roubo.  I really began to waver from the Roubo path after seeing the Shaker workbench in FWW.

The main problem for me is that I have never had a proper workbench.  It is hard for to me to anticipate what would be a good workbench and what would be an ideal workbench.  I realize that I may need or want to build another one after a while but I have the wild notion that I want to do this once and do it right.

My latest thought is that I should build the "Shake-bo" workbench: The Shaker workbench as presented by Kenney / Kekovich, modified by adding the Benchcrafted Tail Vise.  This would seem be a great combo for my needs.

I would like to hear from anyone who has built his/her ultimate workbench and would like to hear your advice and suggestions.

In the end, you have to build what's right for your work flow.  I have more of a shaker bench that's in the process of a complete rework with a roubo top and a set of drawers under.  I'll post up some pics when it's done.

I will say that the leg vise is absolutely awesome!  Although I don't do a great deal of hand work, I couldn't imagine my shop without it. 

I helped a friend build a bench along the lines of where I'm going and can post a few pics if needed.

Edited by TIODS
  • Like 1