Been looking for a set like this for years

Tom King

and they actually match exactly four sash I need to make as a bonus.  I've never found one of the coping planes in good shape, much less with a matching set of sash planes. If the coping plane is not an exact match, I'm not above modifying it as needed.  It looks pretty close in the pictures.  One sash plane is for hogging off most of the material, and the mate is for fine finish.  My client is going to be very excited-probably almost as much as me.  We'll definitely video the production this time.  But it will be some months before I have time to get to that sash job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wooden-Sash-Window-Moulding-Planes-by-KING-Vintage-Old-Tool-/381473984049?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=AncWKsp27QcaylhklZQmM2WSbUM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Probably made by a distant relative of mine, since my King name started in 1426 in England.  I wonder if he helped them my way.

865468694_o.jpg?nc=706

Edited by Tom King
  • Like 1

Congrats! I found a set of wooden molding planes at an antique store a couple weeks ago, nothing like those, but in beautiful condition with a brief history of where they were made, and how much they were bought for. I would have loved to buy them and put them to work again but I couldn't justify the price for the small amount of use they would see. 

Nice score! I've been gradually drawn deeper and deeper into moulding planes, although I have resisted getting any so far. As someone who doesn't make a lot of decorative compound geometry, I've had to put my funds elsewhere. That looks like a great set in fantastic condition, although W.J. Taylor seems to have gone a bit overboard with the letter press!

I don't care a bit what they look like, but just need the work they can do.  I've had best luck with those from the UK, and don't even look at ones from here, which seem mostly to have been kept in barns for a hundred years.  The irons on these aren't pitted at all.  I just have four 9 light sash to make with them to match others in a mid 19th Century house.  Normally, I would have a set of custom router bits made, but that's $1500, and not worth it for just four sash.  But for four 9 lights there are a good number of copes to do.  For smaller jobs I might use a jewelers saw, but this should be a lot more fun.

Edited by Tom King

• 8 months later...