Black Walnut kitchen island

rmartuszewski

Built this kitchen island. First butcher block style I have done. Turned out ok I think.

Came from 4x boards, all black walnut. The top was 3x boards, and the sides/ends were 1x. Sh wanted to hide her credenza, as that is what she wanted to go on. The top was glued and biscuit (5x each side) for alignment. When is was dried the whole thing was planed using a router sled I made...(thanks for the video Marc). The sides were glued and screwed on. They also have walnut plugs the hide the screws, but I guess some were sap wood lol. But still looks ok I guess. Finish is epoxy resin, tried poly but poly was bad so scraped it off and resanded. 

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

• Like 2

It is two kits from home depot, $24 each, crap if you ask me, used better stuff from smooth-on.

Just mixed, and for 30 min. used heat gun waving it back and forth. Heating it up gets it to pop bubbles and thin some as warmer, thus smoothing out and leveling better. After 30 min. the stuff started to set, so walked away.

The better stuff gives you a longer window which is nice. 

Pics are crap.....1.9mb limit so resized for site. Love black walnut, in the light the grain has a metallic look to it and really pops. 

• Like 1

I downloaded the MSDS and TDS... Neither says what resin: B, N, A or G... I'll make a call tomorrow -- it'll depend on the resin...

Kiki's sharp eyed as always -- yea, you're screwed... I mean... Ahhh.. Yea, it'll be a nice 'rustic' look... Yea, that's it...

Sorry, it's getting past my bedtime... :)

PS, along with that copy of Flexner you're going to order: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Illustrated-Furniture-Cabinet-Construction/dp/1561584029/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448855108&sr=1-3&keywords=taunton+furniture

It looks nice and I hate to pile on here, but you have another problem aside from the epoxy...

You wrapped a hardwood panel with a frame without allowing for movement.  You can't do that.  Expect gaps in the frame or splits in the panel...eventually...inevitably.

good eyes, I totally missed that.  Yeah good chance that's gunna pop.