Chessboard Shadowbox

cdolcourt

Hello all, 

Been a while since I've posted anything, whether it's a question, response, or project. Just wanted to share a project I finished last week.

20+ years ago I was given a set of chess pieces and they've sat in a plastic container ever since. I have no idea who gave them to me. They are handcarved (with better photos, you can see the carving details) somewhere in Africa. I have no idea what the woods are, though I will post photos in the "Wood" section in case y'all have any ideas. The black pieces are quite dense, and rthe prevailing wisdom from everyone I've asked, including several people at Woodcraft and other places, is ebony. The white pieces...no clue. My boss and his wife spent considerable time throughout Africa over the years, and at first thought Nigeria or Ghana, but have since decided they have no idea the specific country or region. 

I took shop class at the local high school, adult education, and initially thought about making a plain chessboard. Because of the fragile and irreplaceable nature, instead of a playable board I decided a shadowbox would be better, something that would display the pieces, protect them, and keep the chessboard theme. 

The board is walnut and maple, bubinga border, walnut sides. I am a bit concerned about the soild board and wood expansion after I read a thread earlier this week. My hope is that being in Utah, with pretty low relative humidity, that nothing bad will happen. The board is 12 x 12, hung with a french cleat. The glass front is held to the box with embedded rare earth magnets, just to keep it closed. There are definitely errors and I really need to work on miters. 

Thanks for looking. 

Cameron

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

• Like 1