Rip capacity?

WoodlandRenovations

Any and all advice is subjective because it depends on what you are making and how much space you have/want to use.

Since you have the tracksaw, that tells me that you plan on cutting down sheet goods down to at least rough-size with it.

Building lots of bookshelves, or trimming wide glue-ups, large panels/crosscuts then go wider. Building smaller boxes or projects, then go shorter. I would figure that most rip cuts with solid materials are going to be 4" - 8", with 14" on the high end. I have 30"~ on mine and feel that it plenty.

Try to think of what you want to build and then figure what the widest cut you would make on it.

Indeed, very subjective decision. I have 50" capacity and don't regret it for the following reasons:

• I do occasionally do wide rips
  • I have a SawStop, so the 50" includes a table, which gives me a large work surface when sometimes necessary. For example I will remove the fence, set down a series of 2' x 4' MDF sheets and use the resulting surface for my veneer press. I have sometimes also put down plastic and used it a finishing area

That being said, I don't have a track saw and if I did then I really wouldn't need it for the rip capacity.

I have 36" on my SawStop which serves me well.  Right off the top the only thing that I would come up short on is cutting a 4 X 8 sheet of ply in half and that doesn't happen all that often.  If  I had the room I may have gone with the 50".

But like Al said, you need to decide what you want to do with it.

Edited by Chet K.

Since you have the track saw you don't need much rip capacity.  I only have about 27" capacity and it's fine.  I rip sheets then crosscut with the TS55.  Without the track saw you have to rely on your table saw much more.

Bottom line, if you have a small shop, don't think twice about keeping your rip capacity minimal.  If you have lots of space, bigger is always better and it doesn't cost a whole lot more for more rail.  It would make absolutely no sense in my shop to have a giant table saw.  Waste of space.

• Like 1

I have 36" on my SawStop which serves me well.  Right off the top the only thing that I would come up short on is cutting a 4 X 8 sheet of ply in half and that doesn't happen all that often.  If  I had the room I may have gone with the 50".

But like Al said, you need to decide what you want to do with it.

this is my newness kicking in, but if you have 36" capacity, why can you not rip 24" board?

I had a 30" and found I needed more, I've got 50" rails now and it's just too big. After getting the track saw there was no need for that much capacity. New saw is on the shortlist, with 36" rails. Big enough to handle standard size cabinet pieces, and small enough that my shop doesn't have a football field sized table in it. The extension wing usually gets filled with stuff I'm using currently. 

post-14184-0-49507900-1413659084_thumb.jI use it. Not that often, but anytime we build cabinets or shelves, or use plywood on a roof, walls, or subflooring.  I have two helpers though.  We run to finished size first cut.  The rest of the time it's just extra table top storage space.  Picture is my portable saw.  Portable with a front end loader, and two strong helpers.

Edited by Tom King

52" is nice for when you need exactly 48" out of five or six foot sheets. I am not sure if it was SIP stock or some other locally sourced custom OSB, but we ripped ten foot sheets to 48" wide a few times in the trades. That is not cabinet work, but I am curious if that is why they exist as they do.