Empty Systainers

Pwk5017

Ive seen people chastise others for tossing their empty systainers. They always cite the value in the empty systainer. Is there a market for that stuff? I NEVER pack up my sanders after using them. They are stored in the cabinet underneath my bench. I can see why I would want to keep systainers for a track saw, or maybe a rotex, but I cant see a need/desire to pack up finish sanders to take to a jobsite--for me atleast. Are they worthless? What do used ones sell for? If I can recover a couple bucks from them and gain the shop space back, I would be pumped.

There can be value in them for onsite installers who carry all of their gear with them onto the jobsite. The sturdiness and mobility are nice - they can re-purposed for carrying other things around while using the same 'system'.

For a stationary shop, I definitely don't find them as useful. Like you, all of my Festool gear goes into drawers, cubbies, or shelves after I unpack them. I haven't gotten rid of mine yet, but it's something that does keep coming to mind as I flesh out the shop more and look to recover some space.

I don't doubt that you could get a few bucks for them off of Craigslist if you tried. New systainers direct from Festool retail for $70-ish or more depending on the size.

I wouldn't blame you for not keeping your tools in them all the time...I keep a couple of my Festools out because I use them too often for that to make sense.  But I wouldn't sell them, because if you ever go to sell that tool, no one is gonna pay top dollar for it without the systainer.  Store them in your basement out of sight out of mind.  The rest of the blow molds from Bosch and Makita and Dewalt?  Yeah, trash.

Ok, who have I bought from...

I think Eric and Mel are the two from here with some others on CL. I like to recieve used premium tools in their original packaging regardless of whether or not it was used on a daily basis. If for no other reason, I would stick them in an attic somewhere. You may run the tool to death, or you may want to replace it in two years. The systainer with the tool can gain that extra level of trust from some buyers. Proverbial two pennies. 

No offense intended to those who sold me stuff in other packaging. I still paid and am thankful. 

Edited by C Shaffer

I wouldn't blame you for not keeping your tools in them all the time...I keep a couple of my Festools out because I use them too often for that to make sense.  But I wouldn't sell them, because if you ever go to sell that tool, no one is gonna pay top dollar for it without the systainer.  Store them in your basement out of sight out of mind.  The rest of the blow molds from Bosch and Makita and Dewalt?  Yeah, trash.

ha, funny I have monstrous bosch cases from my 3 routers that I specifically kept for that reason. Maybe in the next year when I go to start switching over to festool stuff, I will be happy I kept those cubic yard boxes. Same deal for selling my dewalt circular saw. It helps when you have the proper box etc. With that said, I don't see myself selling my festool stuff. I don't know what I would buy to replace it, so it is here to stay.

I cant store them in the basement, IM in the basement haha!

Time to see if I can get $40 for it. Never saw never, I did recoup $100 for a 15 year old biese fence without rails. 

Selling Festools is a different ballgame than selling other box store brands.  They're not worth as much as FT to begin with, and those who will be interested in buying them won't be green glasses wearing lunatics that have to have the whole package.  Most guys looking to buy a Dewalt circular saw will be happy to get the saw, with or without the case...or blade...or cord...or anything else...as long as they can get it for less than ten bucks.  FT guys are not the same way...they pay 90% of brand new retail for a used tool.  A totally different kind of stupid.

• Like 1

Sounds like those who buy used Canon / Nikon lenses - if you didn't keep the silly cardboard box and styrofoam they consider the lens worth less. 

In today's world of greater environmental consideration, you should be able to take these back to the store and get a credit of some sort rather than throwing that much plastic into a landfill.