Need help, router off set

rmartuszewski

I have a bosch 1617 router. I have the offset bushing kit (yardsale) but not the adaptor for the off sets.

I have the milescraft off sets also, and the base/straight edge kit. BUT IT DOESN'T COME WITH 3/4" offset.

i am trying to route out the channel for a jessem route-r-lift. Bouggt the templet. 

Calls for a 3/4" offset and 1/2" bit.

i have the bit, and many others. Can I use two different size bits with different size off sets to get the right distance needed?

Why couldt the template just be the perfect size and use a straight but with guide wheel....?

ahhh going crazy.  

image.jpg

Well that worked lol.  Ok so.....

I used a 1/4" sprial bit with a 1/2" guide bushing. The outside edge was perfect, due to the bushing from milescraft all have the same wall thickness of the bushings. Then after that was done in two passes for depth I switched out the 1/2" guide bushing with the 5/8" one. And switched out the 1/4" bit with the 1/2" straight bit. The 5/8" guide bushing doesn't work for distance, but was using it to ensure I didn't cut into the edge with a slip. So was using the bit as a safety and 1/2" straight bit to free hand out the waist. Then drilled four holes and jig sawed the waist center out. 

Fits like a glove.

P.S.   Leave my scrap wood table alone lol, joke. Going on the table saw.

image.jpg

Edited by rmartuszewski
  • Like 1

If you hadn't have done it yet, I'd have said go for it. It's the difference between the bushing and but that matters. 3/4 to 1/2 same as 1/2 to 1/4.  I hate using 1/4" bits because they heat up Soo damn fast but it'll work in a pinch.

btw, you can get the adapter on amazon for like $6. Worth it to buy two to have an extra.

Last time I needed a guide bushing and couldn't find mine, I ca glued a piece of 3/4" OD PVC pipe go a piece of 1/8" ply. Double sided taped it to the base, plunged through and gave er hell. Just had to make sure the exact side was pointing toward the reference edge which was annoying but worked fine.