hi temp glue

ncfowler

So, here is the deal, I got asked to make soap molds, let me explain this is the bulk mold roughly 24" high, 24" deep and 18" wide, yea your did read it right, it needs to be take apart and reassemble easily, plans call for dado's joints, the mold is made of 3/4 good one side ply, and held together by threaded rod, I want to reinforce the back of the mold with some wood strips, using glue and screws, I was told by the person that makes the soap the curing process will reach around 150-200 deg, what glue would you all suggest that will hold up to that heat, He wants and paying for 2 samples, with the potential orders of 200 a year, I don't know if I want it or not, but hell let's give a try, most likely I will farm out the cutting to a panel shop,  

I've made soap before, I don't think you will have a bad time with the heat although a batch that big may generate more heat that the small batches I have done.  You could always use silicone, it's very high temp friendly.  I sealed the wood on my molds with a diluted silicone mixture, it wasn't perfect but it was good practice.  Next time I would work on diluting the mold better. 

Is there a reason they don't re-use the molds? 

• Like 1

the molds are new ones, added to the ones they have, they do re-use them, their product line and sales are getting so large they are needing to expand, they produce over 5000 bars of Shay butter soap a week, just to fill their existing orders, I kinda of got sucker into making prototypes for them.