A chair that rocks!!

shaneymack

Awesome Shane.  I'm glad you got your mahogany issued resolved.  I know you were sweating that.  And when a Canutian sweats, you know he's worried legit.

Just the layout of the parts on that board is cool.  Gonna be a killer build!

Ya man the layout was a lot of fun. A little strategic as I had to be careful for the grain run out at certain parts. Really took my time and my wife want to be sure that i tell you guys that she helped :)

Excellent! Did you get your tenon cutter yet?

I gotta wait for the Lee Valley gift card to come in. Once thats here, i got a grand of chair building awesomeness coming my way

Shane, looking forward to following along.  Boards purchased, templates made and layout in one day, at this pace your gonna put kev's record to shame!

LOL Bryan. I made the templates on Saturday. Putting Kevs record to shame will never happen, he is a freaking machine. I hope to get it done in 4 months. Maybe less, i hear its  a lot of work!!

*grabs some popcorn*

It better be a big ass box my friend, its gonna take a while!

I'm curious why your slip matching the seat when you have a 19" wide board. Couldn't you get most of the seat out of that? Maybe one non sequential on each side to preserve the sweet grain sweep. 

Well its technically not slip matching. Im not resawing it. The seat needs to be 20" wide. Also the seat is coopered so it needs to be in five pieces to achieve the curve. So even if the board were 22" wide i would not have chosen to use it along the enitre width. Id be worried that when i glued it back together the cathedrals would not line up because of the kerfs taken out. With all the straight grain on the edge of the board I think it will glue together seamlessly and there is kind of a two tone thing going on there that i was to showcase in the seat. 

I am so glad you your sharing your experience.  I started the Maloof chair but realized quickly that I needed a proper workshop and some additional tools.  So, I have just a few components done but the build is on hold.  I will be paying very close attention to your build.  Thanks for the journal.

• Like 1

daaaaaaaamn thats some wide mahogany! the widest stuff I can normally get at my place is 6-7" :( 

Ya i was blown away at the big boards they had. I was going to buy a third board but that brought the total to 93 board feet. I want to be able to eat this month so I put the third board back. ☺ Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
  • Like 1