How to run the transition on my stairs

bushwacked

Here is my issue ... 

The baseboard for the stairs hits the ground higher than my baseboard I am running around the rest of the house. If you look at the last step you can see the pencil mark where the stair tread will end up. Above that will be the molding from the stairs, about 3-4" below that is where the baseboard from the room will connect. 

12-1-2015%208-07-32%20PM_zpseva3snpk.jpg

Has anyone ever dealt with this issue before? 

I was thinking I could just kill both runs off, but then that my look like crap. I was also thinking of doing double returns on the ends of each to kill them off a little more fancy, but still not sure that would look that good.

I would like to try and make a smooth transition if at all possible.

Here is the wainscoting I am running through my house ...

image111.thumb.JPG.111da3ea70454a4dd6aa2 

Here is a full pic of the stairs ... They were almost 3/4" off from top to bottom so it was a lot of reworking and rebuilding the stairs

image4.thumb.JPG.bd22a2f195870ce453adc68

12-1-2015 8-07-32 PM.jpg

Is the wainscot also running on that wall? If so, yes. The wainscot runs into the stairwell a bit to create a depth for a return. 

Eh, either way. Think newel post. 

yes the wainscot you see in the other picture will be ran throughout the first floor

Dramatic space !

i would miter all the boards. Where the base tops out just add a piece of mitered stock as a return to the wall.

I am not sure we can do that with the wainscot going to be connecting into the stair area as well and all through the first floor

If you follow Steve's plan, I like to stop the return back from the corner to create a reveal. I think it looks off if you attempt to make this return flush. 

That's a bit tougher cut to make but it will look better. The part to the base must be flush to the corner, then a slight recut to make the reveal.

So with this route, the 3-4" difference on the moldings will still look good if I just stop the return back a little from the corner ... would this be on the stair side and wall side? Or where would I end the wall side?

Google "wainscot meets stair wainscot" and dig a bit. Most commonly people set the stair or the room to match which means a slight elevation change. You can see three or four unique transitions in the first fifty photos if your results are similar to mine. 

Perfect. I will do that. Thanks for the idea

There will be a lot of traffic at that corner, maybe moving furniture or carrying stuff.  Protecting the corner with a post or something makes sense, and solves your transition problem.

Ya I know as thinking a post but would it need to be a scaled down model of the posts in building for the rest of the stairs or same size post? At the moment the plan is to have something like around a 6"x6" size post for the other areas on the railing. Or take the post design and just put it on the wall in like a 3/4" or 1 1/2" thickness. Basically just build the design of the post but not really any actual beef to it?

I think of "post" here as heavy Colonial door casing. It just stands deeper than the rest of the trim (or flush with the deepest trim) to give you a termination point. If your deepest wainscot trim is 5/4", then we routinely ripped 3/8" shims (give or take for look) to build out 5/4" trim. I am not saying it will look right. We often made a mock-up first. 

When I first saw the title to this topic my dog had just nose-printed my tablet, leaving a smear.  It looked like the title was "how to *ruin* the transition on my stairs".

Your trim is looking great - that is going to be a very impactful room.

When I first saw the title to this topic my dog had just nose-printed my tablet, leaving a smear.  It looked like the title was "how to *ruin* the transition on my stairs".

Your trim is looking great - that is going to be a very impactful room.

haha very interesting title! 

Thanks! I am hoping it will finish out great and make people say "Damn!" when they walk in.