Hello from Phoenix

Chris b

Hi all, I am introducing myself from Phoenix (Marc's backyard). I have been a long time Wood Whisperer viewer over several years, but recently joined the guild and making some pushes to do more projects. I found Marc while researching local WW'ing clubs and was nice to see a young, entertaining guy showing his skills off in the shop. Most of all very impressed by his teaching capabilities after buying the Roubo bench project on the Guild.

I started my work experience at a young age working with my uncle as a contractors assistant all through H.S., did some roofing, framing, finish carpentry and some other not so fun stuff. I always loved to draw, paint and build models. My dad was an architect but found my way into Industrial design and haven't looked back. Being around tools(more importantly tool safety)since I was 15 has stuck with me for the past 30 years, working as a shop monitor at The Ohio State University(had to add the word 'the'):D. Most intern jobs required a lot of time in the shop, this was before the 3D printers hit the scene some many product designs were created in light foam, bass wood, ren shape(45lb modeling block), etc. and a lot of finishing. Also spent some time working with RTV molding too. Taking a design to a prototype is simply amazing and very rewarding.

When my wife and I bought our first home this was my time to add my touch to my own home! A lot of home projects took off - new fireplace surround, kitchen tables, TV carts, etc. Several discussions were "lets don't buy when I can build it" some were successful and more than a few were just bad.

So over the years my experience has picked up including my tool buying, a lot of craigslist buys(good and bad), I have a decent amount of tools(Jet TS,dust collector, DW planar, Rigid jointer, Grizzly BS, several Bosch power tools, jigs etc.) but no real room or efficiency to use these in a cramped 3 car space. You have to be a master in geometry to squeeze all the stuff back in the garage to make it all fit. So until the next house with more room this will make do.

With two boys in the mix, (one of them special needs) time is sporadic but still manage to get some time (and energy) to dream an build, so the next big project is the Roubu!

Thanks for reading, Chris 

Thanks for replies, I will pull some photos this weekend and post.

Ross, thanks for the comment, having SN kid is a tough journey but the love for this kid is unimaginable, they are truly special kids. Both of my boys love to craft, build and tear things apart over video games and sports. So I think we will be building for many years to come. This also gives me a little leverage with wifey for tool and wood buying:D

• Like 1

I hear ya, with two cars in the garage it leaves me with sport equip, bikes, coolers, etc. along with my tools. When the Roubo is complete one of the cars will be in the driveway!

Ahhh well there is your problem. Get all that other crap outta there! ! :D Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk