Dewalt Dado set

Tom King

This thing is actually pretty daggone good.  Especially with the Amazon Dewalt $25 discount.  I ordered it a few days ago because I have some old wood I need to run dadoes in that I didn't want to risk Forrest teeth in.  I did a test cut on some ordinary 3/4" BIrch plywood first.  I'm sure having a well tuned table saw makes a difference, but there was zero tearout on the edges, and the

bottom of the cut was very useable.  While the bottom might not have been as clean as the Forrest, it is certainly useable for almost anything anyone would need. 

If you don't have a dado set, and have been waiting to get one, this thing at $89 at the sale price through the 22nd, compared to the Forrest set that's over $300, will serve the average hobbyist just fine without any need to spend the extra two hundred plus bucks.  If you're OCD about having the bottoms of the dadoes perfect, spend the money you save on a Lee Valley router plane.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ZU6X4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first time I used mine, I decided to set it up for 3/4" plywood, even though I was cutting wider notches making saw horses.  I couldn't believe it when I ran the first test cut, and it couldn't have been any better.  I marked each cutter as it came off the saw with a Magic Marker so I could pull the right combination when I needed it for 3/4 ply.

Normally, I toss the cases that tools come in, but I actually like the case that this set comes in.

• 1 month later...

I have the DeWalt 7670, the CMT that looks like the Freud SD208 and a Freud SD508.  The Dewalt is better than the CMT and very near the quality of the Freud SD508 which is twice the price.  I agree that this is one blo-mold case design that I actually kept as it is very usable and takes up minimal space.  I work primarily in solid woods.