Sign making advice

duckkisser

Someone asked me to make her a sign  before I make it I have a few questions.  

I don't have a router that's not mounted in my router table.  So I will buy a router to do this but also to use on other projects.  So what kind of router should I get? I was thinking a edge trim router to be lighter and easier to see what I'm cutting. Or do they need the power and weight of a full size router? 

Are the templates they sell worth having or are they a waste of money?

What kind of bits do I need to use? Should Invest in down cut spiral router bits?

Is it worth taking the time to make my own templates on a scroll saw to pattern route the letters or should I just hand route the letters?

any advice would be helpful

Duck, I've done a few signs, all routed freehand with a paper pattern. To use this method, a small bit in a not so small router seems best. The small diameter bit is less likely to catch and cause a heavier router to jump. Templates & collars are good for repeatability, but restrict the font size and style. For the most elegant sign lettering, I suggest using a pantograph and a "follower" of the same size and shape as the router bit. That lets you make calligraphic, "carved" lettering.

Pantograph never thought of that might buy this set up only making one to sell but I want to make some letters for my house and a sighn for my shop to hang outside.  Maybe I can offer this as a sighn making part of my hobby to sell to people.  People keep talking about how it an be used for 3D work but it seems little bulky for any kind of detail.   Other option is to buy a CNC  router but that gets pricy for 3 signs :) anyone ever used one of these?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgPqFHZLgY

I enjoy making almost anything, but we have good friends in the sign business a mile and a half from our house, and this is not really a business area.  They have a CNC machine, and some sort of nice high density foam they can make a sign from, or use any wood I supply.  Their prices are so reasonable that I would never even think about trying to sell a sign to someone that I made.

https://www.facebook.com/LakeGastonSigns/

They even make signs for companies like LL Bean, and those outdoor stores, and ship signs out somewhere every week.