Cole Jaws questions

Eric.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=20242&cat=1,330,69091&ap=1

Jumbo Jaw Sets - Woodworking

Does anyone know if I can use these on a Nova chuck?  It sounds like LV is saying they only fit on a certain brand of chuck but that's hard to believe because it would be so stupid.

Open to suggestions for other brands.  I see a Nova on Amazon but it's only a 12".

My lathe has an 18" swing and while I've never turned a bowl that big, there's no reason to think I won't at some point in the future.  It seems silly to buy jaws that can't utilize all of my lathe's capacity.  I know you can build shop-made extensions but that sounds like work.  I'd like to get at least a 16" model if I can do it without spending a million dollars.

I also know you can get a Longworth in 18" but OMG the sticker price is crazy talk.  I'm assuming there aren't too many options out there that I haven't found already but figured I'd ask anyway...

Eric, I have those on a one way chuck. There's something funny about the back of them, let me take them off the chuck and get a photo of the back of the plate because there's something funny about them...  There's a groove on the front of the chuck  that a "tooth" slides in.

will get you a photo in a few mins. 

• Like 1

E, I have the Oneway Stronghold chuck and the 66B13.06 jaws.  Yeah, "Mega Jumbo Jaws" or maybe "Jumbo Jaws, Mega" - I dunno, but if you can get away with that kind of product naming maybe my next career is in product marketing.

Here's the rear view - you can see there's a set screw type thing in there:

567eff0a33e23_setscrew.thumb.jpg.46ae4f6

And on the jaw chuck, there's a groove that it fits in:

567eff404a4c8_strongholdchuck.thumb.jpg.

Also, if helpful, those screw holes are ~1" apart, on-center.  Photo's a little blurry but it's the day after Christmas and I'm still nursing a hangover in my pajamas.

567eff6693722_centertocentermeasurement.

IMG_2269.JPG

super double mega jumbo.jpg

53 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Thanks Matt.  I'll have to dig my chucks out later and take a look.  I don't get the point of the set screw.  Canadians are weird.

1. Agree Canadians are weird.  Don't even think it's an opinion anymore, just a fact.

2. I don't understand that set screw either, it just limits the range of motion of the jaw chuck.  Maybe there's some safety rationale there, but I don't understand it.

E, you're better off with a longworth chuck. They are faster to adjust, and it gets chucked up in your out of the box dovetail jaws on your chuck. 

Yeah I hear ya, but it's like 200 beans for the 16". :unsure:

I'm to lazy to go find a quote, but aren't you the same Eric that always reminds us that this is an expensive hobby, and to get over it? ?

• Like 2

Yeah, this is my lathe...:D

71dov28qRBL._SL1200_.jpg

....but we're talking about an aluminum disc with some rubber thingies on it.  Not something I wanna spend $200 on.  I also don't want to spend four hours building a shop-made version.

And if you would take a second and take the little sticks out of your head and clean out your ears and maybe you would see that I'm a person who has feelings and all I have to do is do what I wanna do and what I wanna do is hold onto my bag and not listen to YOU!

90s movies for $200 Alex.  You can buy me that stupid chuck if you get it right.