I'm officially rustic

Eric.

That's right, I'm changing horses.  I'm joining the rustic team for good, no looking back.

My mother bought these hideous nailed-together painted pine "tables," and she asked me to replace the tops as a Christmas gift.  Initially, of course, I scoffed at the idea and reminded her that I'm protected by the 1st Amendment to refuse (right to freedom of religion) and I find the whole idea totally offensive.  But then she laid down a trump card by saying, "Okay then, how about building me a whole new pair that meets your standards?"  Bah, fine, give me this garbage and I'll do what you want.

I can comfortably say that these are the ugliest things I've ever taken part in making since I started building furniture.  But I thought I'd post them anyway so it can be thrown in my face down the road when I dish crap to someone else about building rustic.  I've never known a group of people who are better at catching someone in a contradiction.  Can't get away with anything around here.  So take this ammo and put it in your back pocket...you'll need it some day.

That knot on the right one...I had to take a shower after gluing that panel together.  Looks like someone left a skid mark there if you ask me.  My mom loves it. 

DSC_0094.jpg

Yeah they'll look good in her house...they'll match all the rest of the ugly crap she has.  It's chock full of Crate & Barrel distressed garbage.  And she'll like them and she asked for them and it was Christmas...and her birthday...she's one of the unfortunate few to share a birthday with Jesus. LOL  So I couldn't really say no even though every fiber of my being resists this kind of thing.

I'm not sure I could do it for money.  That would make me a prostitute.  Unless maybe if I was broke. :D

1 minute ago, Llama said:

Ammo for later... HAHA! BS!

You should ban yourself for allowing that to come out of your shop. I have sent a PM to the proper authorities about this obvious disregard to proper furniture making. I can only hope that you saved the pocket screws from this torture. Hell, next time you should use pallet wood! Why not stain it all grey. I expect your resignation to be on Marcs desk no later than 10 minutes ago. You are an anti-furniturite. 

Now that's a rant..  Sorry, still spewing adult beverage from my nose!

• Like 2