Ellen is back

AstroDave

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

My guess is twice as many.  Plus more facial hair, bigger glasses and tighter jeans...at the ankles.  I won't be watching this one like I didn't watch the last one.

But then you'll miss things like her cow table made from plaster!  Very practical...

• 3 weeks later...

Well the first real build episode has aired.  Judging went something like this:

Person makes tasteful bed that someone might actually want to buy ->  Your design is too safe, what were you thinking?

Person makes weird bed no one would ever want -> Your design is too weird, what were you thinking?

Person makes cool looking bed that would trip you trying to get in and out of and would probably break if you jumped on it -> Winner!

I had no idea this was on again for another season until I stumbled on as it started. Looks like the same kinda group as last year. Like last year after a few minutes you get a good idea the top 2-3. 

The scale/propitious on some of the beds were way off, the gold leaf bed was for baby bear and the goofy tear drop bed was for papa bear! I too liked the asymmetrical welded bed, creative and appeared well made for 2-3 days of work. 

Still can't believe the toe stubbing bed won didn't appear to be structural either. Craftsmanship goes along way and I feel these judges throw that out the door! The guy who won it last year had the best looking and made pieces of the group. He also had the most ww'ing experience too.

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Biggest problem I noticed is that none of the "beds" appear to break down for moving.

I think you definitely have to look at it from the concept idea of furniture, not the complete functionality. I think most of the beds had some sort of merit except the two that the judges put in last place as well. I am usually pretty impressed with what they can put together in a matter of days with really only a few hours of design. They might not all be to my taste but it is still impressive work. Also we want to see wood furniture when that metal bed showed there is merit to the other media as well. I just remind myself its Ellen's Design Challenge, not Ellen's Woodworking Challenge lol. Except for the cow table last season, I hope that was burned with a flame thrower.

• Like 1

I watched it, the metal worker woman had a cool design, i did think the guy who won had a cool looking bed even though you'd hurt your feet getting in or have to jump over the wood.  The two who were on the bottom of the group made some crappy looking beds that's for sure, and the airplane inspired bed was pretty fugly as well.  The gold leaf woman ruined nice walnut and should have been scalded instead of praised haha.  They had some sweet tools that's for sure, I see festool saw a big market to advertise to, don't remember them being on their last time.  

I quit watching all these shows after the season when mike Holmes had that all American handyman show. Most of those so called handymen didn't have a clue. They must draw from a long list of wannabes! Can't imagine Ellen ( who I dislike anyway) would be any different.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

@cstandi1, I'm just saying that design concepts need to address reality to some degree. No one can sell a bed that only fits through a garage door, and the structural integrity of the knock down joints in a bed are critical design components. The things produced in the aforementioned episode are, at best, "bed-shaped" sculptures.

It's called Ellen's Design Challenge and it's on HGTV.  Ellen is hardly in it.  If last season is anything to go by, she's there at the beginning of the first episode and the end of the last one and that's about it.  HGTV thinks it's 2006 or something and isn't streaming the show from their website, but there's pictures of the bed and a video clip at the bottom here:

http://www.hgtv.com/design-blog/shows/ellens-design-challenge-episode-1-bed-challenge-winner

Bradley's (second bed picture) was the winner.