Rustic Finish Re-creation

stanhastheplan

For years I have tried to make wood perfect, removing all blemishes, nail holes, planer gouges, etc....and now I want to create this stuff.  I found a table top that shows exactly what I want to do.  Can anyone tell me how I might go about it?  Not sure if you can tell, but there is a distinct pattern on each board.  Would it have to be done board by board in advance of assembly(glue-up).  

A. How would I add the gouging and rough marks?

B. Would I paint first, then scrape/sand to get the desired pattern, then stain it/wax it?

Thanks, see picture attached!!!

IMG_0194.JPG

Well, I live in S. Texas so I like to work with Mesquite since its about my only native option here, but this is for a different project.  I dont want to waste mesquite on some of the stuff I build.  I need a way to take clean pine boards from the box stores and saw them this way.  Wonder if I could get a saw blade for my band saw that would act like a pit blade?  Or doctor up one of my blades?

Why old boards? They were sawn green with monster saw teeth. This leaves deep ridges with wide spacing. If you try to hand saw this or band saw it, you will have relatively shallow scoring very tightly together. Old boards also tend to harden or maybe toughen as they shrink dry. I just have not seen new boards made to look like this. You can get a great distressed look, but the boards will not have that texture. You May be able to find some rough sawn newer stock with the saw marks like this or even radial marks, but you will need to do some work to get those soft beaten down edges as I think sanders do not always do a good job of that. I envision using a block of wood to burnish. Just my two cents. There is a high probability that table in your picture had boards put in a giant steam press to get that texture. 

First pass at re-creating this finish.....

1. Wire wheel board

2. Paint it

3. Belt sand the paint off

4. Stain it.

What i noticed is the stain darkens the paint some which is ok, but obviously the paint doesnt scrape off either since its new.  I was told they stained these tables first then painted them...... But the stain needs to be darker so that it fills the holes, gouges, cut marks, saw marks.

I've got a pallet that I working on now, and a board I re-sawed on bandsaw with blade tension loosened up.  More to come.  Thanks for the tips (From most of you)

q. IMG_0201cropped.thumb.jpg.d3354d7d12ff87