JosephThomas

Kitchen Island

64 posts in this topic

Looking forward to the build!  A thicker top would be nice but, I'm not spending your money ;)   Going for bread board ends on the top?

29 minutes ago, TIODS said:

Going for bread board ends on the top?

Wasn't planning on it, just butt-joints, biscuits for alignment. We'll see though... I figure I won't even be thinking about the top for a few weeks at the rate I work, plenty of time to change minds and plans...

Sweet. Looking forward to watching it progress.

*mike, did the final flattening happen with  hand tools or do you have a trip sized sander I don't know about? 

12 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Looks nice mike. What was the final thickness of the top?

It's in the house we sold 7 years ago but I'm guessing 2". 

Awesome JT ! I look forward to watching your progress!

Very nice clean work! Are there any plans to relocate the washer and dryer in the future?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Very nice clean work! Are there any plans to relocate the washer and dryer in the future?

Haha no, we're renting this place. I've already done enough damage :)

1 person likes this

Progress is slow, very busy at work last week and for the next couple :(

Cut 1/2" ply for the side and back panels

ZIadSIG.png

Rabbets on all the edges...I did this all with a combo blade on the table saw...definitely the slowest way possible, but was my only choice without waiting to buy a dado stack or router table:

irWYZAm.png

They came out ok, even if it was inefficient. Made another neat little stack and considered just placing the pile like this in our dining room and calling it "art"...would be easier than making actual furniture....not sure how the wife would react to that though :) 

6lro8Pm.png

Then I dry-fit all the pieces for the back and sides. This is how it will look from the outside, which will all be painted: (the long section on the left is the back and the pieces on the right are the sides)

7oQNvIt.png

And this is what they look like on the what will be the inside after assembly, I think I'm going to paint the rails and styles before assembly and use water-bourne poly on the panels:

yVTetD5.png

So yeah. Probably won't get any shop time until next weekend, when I do, I'll do some light sanding, pre-finish a few parts, then do glue-ups.  

Also, before anyone mentions it, yes I'm aware all the grain on the panels is horizontal instead of the traditional way...since the panels are plywood it's more about aesthetics anyway.  I started laying out the cuts in order to minimize waste and had already cut half of them before I realized what I'd done. Oh well, lesson learned. 

2 people like this

You're doing a great job with the tools you have! Who needs a dado blade, those rabbets look perfect! Keep the pics coming buddy!

1 person likes this

Nice work, JT! As long as time isn't an issue, rabbets, dadoes and grooves done with a saw blade are great. Even cleaner if you have a flat top ripping blade to use!

1 person likes this

Thx guys. I admit, I spent the only spare 30 min I had today looking at router tables online...bleh

Small update, so little shop time. But I am pre-finishing the panels today in between stuff with work, and I primed the rails/styles. I'ts min-wax polycrylic on the panels, these photos are after the 2nd coat. Hoping to finish this today, then the next time I make it in here I can do glue ups... 

H9ZcUjB.png

FN5MSnE.png

1 person likes this

Any progress is one step closer to completion. It can be hard to find time in our busy lives these days. My own personal projects can languish for months because of the demands of client projects.

Looking  good !

1 person likes this

Awesome work JT ! Looking good, next update will be a big one with it all glued up. I look forward to it!

It's coming along nicely. Doesn't matter how long it takes. 

I don't know if it's just me, but with the water-bourne stuff I feel like I'm in a race to just slap it on and get away from it as fast as I can. I swear if I touch a given spot for more than a second or 2 it leaves brush strokes behind.  I still end up with some bubbles and/or dust bunnies on the surface no matter what I do, but nothing major. This is the first time I've done water-bourne without spraying...am I missing something?

When I've done water based i usually do more coats and sand almost every time in between. I just brushed on some varathane water based on a vanity for a friend and it went really well. Are all brands created equal?